starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toes forward

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post

How does a joint become stable if rotational force is being appled to it? This seems contradictory.
    I think he's saying it will recruit the muscles that are responsible for applying torque (external rotation of the femur), i.e. the medial glutes. I tried it and it hurt my knees.

Why is it that anytime we have a post about something Kelly has said, it always starts with, "I think he's saying..."?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Don't feel bad, Starrett rarely has the faintest fucking idea what he's going on about.
    Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Ya I just watched a few of his videos as I had never heard of him. Not impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why is it that anytime we have a post about something Kelly has said, it always starts with, "I think he's saying..."?
    You know, he didn't used to be that bad. His early vids were pretty good, with straightforward stuff about how to unfuck yourself with a lacrosse ball and so on.

Things went downhill once he started getting into juicy jaguar territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickma2 View Post
    Reslly all i wanted to know was if toes forward inhibits ability to get lumbar extension at the bottom?
    Wouldn't it take about 5 minutes to try this with 135 and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    I
    I seriously have no clue exactly what it is he means with the word, even if I've read tons of sentences with the word that seems to use it similarly.
    I think he means "apply twisting force" - that's the (lay) definition. It's actually more correct usage than "power"lifting. Life isn't physics class.

His stuff on using bands and lacrosse ball to 'unfuck yourself' as put above is pretty good but I don't go much on his views on movement and his rambling

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    I seriously hate his Supple Leopard book merely because of his whole torque thing. When you understand the proper use of the word, every sentence that uses it incorrectly then screams out at you. And since the word permeates the entire book, it taints the entire book.

I seriously have no clue exactly what it is he means with the word, even if I've read tons of sentences with the word that seems to use it similarly. He talks about torque as some sort of a recourse that joints can gain or lose, which is weird to me.
    I have the book but haven't read it. I don't think I ever will. For a PT, his misuse of nomenclature is bewildering. But, hey, bullshit sells!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    I think he means "apply twisting force" - that's the (lay) definition. It's actually more correct usage than "power"lifting. Life isn't physics class.
    There's a word for that. But I don't think that's what he means.

Life isn't a physics class, but there's a reason we have nomenclature for sciences -- and it's to avoid the exact confusion created by Kelly's misuse of words and the resultant shit storm when a bunch of CF parrots parrot the nonsense.

"Power" isn't exactly a misnomer in powerlifting, either. You need power to pull or squat 700 lb. Even though powerlifting might be more apt for weightlifting -- it's not as inappropriate as Kelly's misuse of "torque."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Wouldn't it take about 5 minutes to try this with 135 and see what happens?
    No. Maybe 225

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123