starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dislocated kneecap rehab and how much time off from squatting?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The reason your knee hurts is because you dislocated your knee cap. Things may feel badly for some time. The questions are, how did your knee feel after the workout and how will your knee feel tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The reason your knee hurts is because you dislocated your knee cap. Things may feel badly for some time. The questions are, how did your knee feel after the workout and how will your knee feel tomorrow?
    My knee hurt a bit more after the workout than before, but not much. Could also have been the normal fluctuation in pain levels that seems to be included in this type of injury.
    Yesterday evening after work, however, i was in quite a bit more pain than usual the last few days. But this could also be because of the many stairs i had to walk up and down yesterday at work.

Today my knee feels about the same as the last few days. At least until now (lunch break at work).

Well, the workout did not appear to do anything worse than your daily activities. I would start carefully adding weight and using correct form the whole time. See how it goes.

Hi again,

after todays workout my knee hurts a lot more than usual. Do you think i took to much of a jump or could there be any of the other movements causing unneccesary stress for the knee?

I trained as follows:
    BW Squat 10x2
    Barbell Squat 20kg (empty bar)x5x2, 40kgx5x3
    Bench with deload weights (70kgx5x3 if that matters anything)
    Back extension, 10kg plate held in front of the chest x10x3
    Chin Ups to failure (4/3/2) (do they even make sense with these ridiculous numbers?)

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Greetings
    Kraspor

How are you doing your back extensions?

How are you doing your back extensions?
    - On a 45° back extension bench similar to this one: http://www.leisurefitness.com/Conten...mages/5070.png
    - I drive the feet into the plate and place the upper pad at about my beltline (lower than my navel but above my crotch).
    - I hold the plate in front of my chest. Like i would give it a hug.

I assume that the lockout position of the knees are the reason for my pain, but i'm not sure. At least i can't pin it down to one explicit moment during training where it began.
    Maybe could also have been the drive of the legs into the ground while benching?

The pull-up bar I use is pretty high, so I have to drop down after the set which would probably hurt the knee. Is your situation similar?

Drop the back extensions and, as Toot pointed out, watch out for anything that suddenly loads the knee like jumps down from a pullup bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    The pull-up bar I use is pretty high, so I have to drop down after the set which would probably hurt the knee. Is your situation similar?
    Yes and no. Yes, the pull up bar hangs pretty high, but no i dont hat to drop or jump down from the bar because i'm pretty tall myself. But it's a good tip anyway, i will watch out for similar situations. Thank you.

Drop the back extensions and, as Toot pointed out, watch out for anything that suddenly loads the knee like jumps down from a pullup bar.
    Thanks, so you don't think i loaded the squat to aggressive? Thats a relief.
    When dropping back extensions, should i still alternate deadlifts and the clean substitution (i chose rows with a underhand grip) on workout A or should i switch the rows to the back extension slot on workout B?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post
    Thanks, so you don't think i loaded the squat to aggressive? Thats a relief.
    Maybe you did, or maybe you didn't. I don't know. We'll probably know after your next workout if something similar happens. Be gradual with how you load the weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post
    When dropping back extensions, should i still alternate deadlifts and the clean substitution (i chose rows with a underhand grip) on workout A or should i switch the rows to the back extension slot on workout B?
    I think back extensions should removed from your program for the time being since it locks the knee in extension and may irritate your injury.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast