starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dislocated kneecap rehab and how much time off from squatting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Usually when you dislocate your kneecap you get bone bruise on the femur. Additionally the cartilage of your kneecap gets irritated and bleeding can occur. This means that the pain gets aggravated by pressure, where the kneecap presses on the bone.

This means that you should minimize that pressure by being conservative on the squats and probably skip the back extensions, as Coach Campitelli already pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Maybe you did, or maybe you didn't. I don't know. We'll probably know after your next workout if something similar happens. Be gradual with how you load the weights.
    Understood. I will be more carefull and report again. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I think back extensions should removed from your program for the time being since it locks the knee in extension and may irritate your injury.
    Yes i understood that, but you also said i should drop the power cleans for quite a while.
    Do you think i should alternate deadlifts and rows (my substitution of choice for the clean at the moment) on workout A or do deadlifts on A and rows on B?
    Thats what i meant.

Sorry if i didnt make myself clear, non native speaker here

Your English is better than my German.

I would deadlift on A and row on B until you have a better idea of what kind of volume you can tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post

after todays workout my knee hurts a lot more than usual. Do you think i took to much of a jump or could there be any of the other movements causing unneccesary stress for the knee?

Avoid exercises that require the knee to passively resist shear - GH situps, GHR, back extensions - and anything that isolates the knee - leg extensions/curls.

Goodmornings are a better choice for someone with loose knees, ligament injury than the xtns/GHR.

An actual determination of the injured structures (a full dislocation will mean damage to varying degrees) is a good idea.

Thank you all for your answer, really helpful. I will avoid said things and be more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    An actual determination of the injured structures (a full dislocation will mean damage to varying degrees) is a good idea.
    I don't really know if it was a full dislocation. It dislocated and immediately it relocated itself. I think on the prescribtion for the medical kneesleeve (which sucks ass btw) it said something like "subluxation".
    I will see my doctor again next week anyway (he's on vacation this week.. damn) to see what to do next.

Hi again,

i just wanted to give you guys a little update on the situation.

Training goes pretty well again. It doesn't seem that it hurts my knee more than my normal daily activities. However i'm still not at 100% and i may not be for quite a while (maybe i should start a log on this forum). That's just how it is. A dislocated kneecap is no fun.

I adjusted my training according to your advice and it seems to work just fine. However i feel like i'm much more sore than usual. But i think (at least i hope) that this is just temporary.
    Overall i feel a lot better than a few weeks ago. Even my back pain are a lot better (they weren't part of this thread until now).

I will keep you guys updated.

Greetings
    Kraspor

Good. I am glad to hear that things are going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post

......Chin Ups to failure (4/3/2) (do they even make sense with these ridiculous numbers?)........
    I wish I had those ridiculous numbers. My best is 3/4 of a rep. I'll be very proud once I hit 1 full rep.

cheers
    Damo

Quote Originally Posted by OzDamo View Post
    I wish I had those ridiculous numbers. My best is 3/4 of a rep. I'll be very proud once I hit 1 full rep.

cheers
    Damo
    Yeah i understand that its better than nothing, but im stalling since forever with the exact same reps (give or take a rep, depending in the day) and that is quite frustrating for me.
    And i know some people who say that chins are only good if you can do at least 5/5/5. I just wanted the experts opinion on this and maybe a small hint how to increase reps. But it wasnt that important, the knee injury is my main concern.

Greetings
    Christian

starting strength coach development program
    Chins are good regardless of how many reps you can do. Obviously, being able to do 10 is preferable to only being able to do 1, but doing chins is a useful part of the program.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast