starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benadryl for sleep?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Any ideas on a protocol to improve "sleep resilience", for lack of a better word? I don't have an issue, but my wife wakes up on the drop of a pin. Sure, we have blackout curtains and we use a loud fan or a/c for noise to cover up stuff, but I think a better long term plan would be to help her simply sleep through mild irritants like our cat scratching the carpet on the other side of the apartment.
    Does she wake up earlier than needed often and is unable to go back to bed? Problems falling asleep? Can she go back to bed after being awoken? Does this get better on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    I just ordered an OASIS 5000, top of the line sleep/sound/noise generator thing.

In addition to white noise, there are 24 theme sounds and 5 add ons that can be mixed in individually or all together.

The main themes are like stream, ocean, etc. and the add ons are thunder, seagulls , etc. The cool thing is that the digitized recordings can be programmed to slow down, e.g. Waves roll in slower, and slower. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Two questions, in percentage what will my gains be? And, what would be the best theme and add ons the night before bench press?

http://www.soundoasis.com/products/s...apy-system/#cs
    I have a clip of Ronnie Coleman saying light weight on loop that I sleep with along with my stuffed Odin doll.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Any ideas on a protocol to improve "sleep resilience", for lack of a better word? I don't have an issue, but my wife wakes up on the drop of a pin. Sure, we have blackout curtains and we use a loud fan or a/c for noise to cover up stuff, but I think a better long term plan would be to help her simply sleep through mild irritants like our cat scratching the carpet on the other side of the apartment.
    Does she wake up earlier than needed often and is unable to go back to bed? Problems falling asleep? Can she go back to bed after being awoken? Does this get better on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    I just ordered an OASIS 5000, top of the line sleep/sound/noise generator thing.

In addition to white noise, there are 24 theme sounds and 5 add ons that can be mixed in individually or all together.

The main themes are like stream, ocean, etc. and the add ons are thunder, seagulls , etc. The cool thing is that the digitized recordings can be programmed to slow down, e.g. Waves roll in slower, and slower. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Two questions, in percentage what will my gains be? And, what would be the best theme and add ons the night before bench press?

http://www.soundoasis.com/products/s...apy-system/#cs
    I have a clip of Ronnie Coleman saying light weight on loop that I sleep with along with my stuffed Odin doll.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorinexile View Post
    I have definitely noticed that this wears off if I try it for more than 2-3 nights in a row. Seems to lose potency.
    Yes. After a few days, you develop a tolerance.

Noise cancelling headphones? Also sounds like some sleep hygiene issues might be present. Finally, might be worth doing a depression screen on her to see if the early morning awakening is related to that- just to rule it out.

I have work schedule that alternates from a 4:30-6:30 two weeks day shift, then two weeks night shift. Switching to day shift makes it hard to fall asleep by 9 pm in order to get 7 hours or so of sleep the first couple of nights. I did not want to take allergy medicine, so I tried melatonin 5g an hour or so before I wanted to sleep. Did not get the super drowsy, can't hold my eyes open effect that Benadryl gives, but, when I laid down, I was able to fall asleep.

starting strength coach development program
    Yea melatonin and ramelteon seem to work pretty well for phase shift type insomnia (i.e. jet lag and changing schedules). Neither are very effective overall in the literature, but some people like them and they're pretty safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12