starting strength gym

Thread: Sleep Destroyer Cometh: Training with a Newborn?

Default Sleep Destroyer Cometh: Training with a Newborn?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaches,

First, I did search and only found one thread, in which Rip hilariously berated OP for not prioritizing training and not forcing an abortion. Classic shit, but not super helpful.

What do you recommend for training with a newborn on deck?

I was thinking to switch to 531 from my current TM. I've got nutrition and recovery dialed in for TM, but I know (from son #1) that sleep just isn't going to happen for a while.

Just curious as to what you've seen work for others in similar situation.

Thanks in advance. I'd ask for at least one coherent reply before we, rightfully, shift to dead baby jokes.

I recommend you do what you can. 5/3/1 is a monthly progression, and if you're not through Advanced Novice you will be significantly slowing your gains.

Life priorities happen, train when you can, recognize it for what it is. The only difference it would make for me is that I would be less likely to call for a reset when life got in the way. I would simply repeat.

Too often we jump ship or reset...because it's easier to do that way.

My experience: I continued pushing TM. I actually hit some all-time PRs in the first 6 weeks after the pup was born, but crashed hard and wound up taking about 6 weeks virtually all the way off (combination of just getting my ass kicked and some nasty elbow tendonitis).

If you have everything dialed in, keep pushing it. Just pay attention to your recovery and if things start adding up - joints start hurting, fatigue increasing, etc. - take a few days off and resume with more moderate volume (i.e., 3x5 instead of 5x5 VD, for example).

That's what I wish I'd done.

It is certainly manageable, and is not impossible. My wife gave birth to twins last October (2013), so I have a year of training with newborns.

I used three programs since last October. The first was an "abbreviated" program that Dr. Ken Leistner wrote about in MILO. I did this for a month before adding in extra work & the program ceased to be abbreviated. 11/13 to 7/14: One Lift per Day program (specifically the Iron Sport Strength Method by Steve Pulcinella). 7/14 to present: Texas Method / Olympic Lifting hybrid program per PPST3.

A couple of other things that have helped me:
    1. My wife supports my desire to train. I train 3X/week at lunch (a gym at work), and once per weekend in my garage. That said, I don't know if I would have been able to train at home all the time, as there is far too much to be done.

2. I train while the babies nap on Saturday / Sunday mornings. If an opportunity presents itself, use the time and get under a barbell.

3. Get the big lifts done first & then get as much done as you can. The One Lift per Day is perfect for this.

4. Black coffee, and lots of it.

5. This one is more for handling the babies than training, but it affects your life & therefore training. Use the "Happiest Baby on the Block" method to sooth a newborn (colicky). Use the Ferber method to sleep train when appropriate. Both of them work, and free up time for you to train.

6. Optimize your training time - minimal time between sets, warmups, etc. A good example is loading warmup sets: only using 45s & 25s saves some time. You can get 2 lifts in a 5x5 VD style done within an hour if you maintain intensity.

7. It is easier to grind through the slow powerlifts than be explosive for the olympic lifts when REALLY tired.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your new little one!

I have had the best success with HLM. My girl is now 9 months old and my wife is about 10 weeks pregnant with the second. I know, I'm potent. I made a few small tweaks to the frame-work, the most relevant is that on H day I do one heavy set followed by two M intensity back-off sets. In this way, I get a training stimulus that mirrors the volume and intensity of TM, but with volume day spread out (so 5x1 intensity and 5x2 volume plus 5x3 volume = 5x1 intensity plus 5x5 volume on a weekly time frame). This is more recovery-friendly for me than TM while still providing identical tonnage. Good luck!

I started using the TM 4 Day Split when my daughter was born. It helped compensate for the sleep reduction.

My baby girl is 9 weeks old. So my experience regarding that topic is very fresh.

I made the mistake to push everything as hard as i could, even when sleep was crap or i virtually had no time.
    That led to sloppy form which then finally resulted in injury.

So my best tip would be to not be a stubborn idiot like i am / was and listen to your body.
    Injuries will alway cost more time than a deload or a missed weight increase.

But i have to say that i would still be considered a novice.
    How would you guys tailor the novice progression around this situation?

Greetings
    Kraspor

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks gents, much appreciated. Lots of good advice here.

My girl supports lifting so not too much of a stretch.

And so...

How many dead babies fit into a microwave?