starting strength gym

Thread: Cyclist squat form check (170lbs)

Default Cyclist squat form check (170lbs)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm posting a form check primarily due to not having experience with squatting above this weight, 170lbs. I've read the squat section in the SS 3rd ed. and feel like I'm doing this correctly however I noticed a little knee movement during my lift and realize I may completely screwing this up.

Many apologies for cutting of the feet and head.

This was my 5th set of 5 at this wt. planned to do 5 reps but did 6 when I lost count as I noticed my knee moving.

Dude. Shove your friggin knees out. OUT. Shove them out. SHOVE THE KNEES OUT.

Read and re-read the Chapter on the Squat. If you can get the DVD. Look at other form checks

There is a bit to work on here.

Bar Position - too high - reread Chapter
    Stance - too narrow - reread Chapter
    Toes - about 90% sure they are pointing damn near straight ahead - reread Chapter
    Knees - Push them bastards out - " "
    Knees - Caving - see above
    Knee Slide - Tubow
    Back - Lumbar needs to be in extension - " "
    Not Reaching depth - See all above

That will get you started. This being said - You can do it though. Good for you for starting this journey. Now it is time to learn. Squat. And get Strong.

If you can - get the DVD. If not, You Tube and form checks in the Coaches forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Dude. Shove your friggin knees out. OUT. Shove them out. SHOVE THE KNEES OUT.
    Knees out, got it...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Read and re-read the Chapter on the Squat. If you can get the DVD. Look at other form checks

There is a bit to work on here.

Bar Position - too high - reread Chapter I thought I was close on this. I'll try lower
    Stance - too narrow - reread Chapter indeed, never really tried to force this.
    Toes - about 90% sure they are pointing damn near straight ahead - reread Chapter Never thought about this. just do what was natural
    Knees - Push them bastards out - " " got it.
    Knees - Caving - see above not sure I know the difference between slide and cave, but I'll read up on it
    Knee Slide - Tubow
    Back - Lumbar needs to be in extension - " " Got it, I noticed this also and know I have a week back
    Not Reaching depth - See all aboveI thought I was getting down. crap.
    This is a lot of homework, I'll need to digest this in chunks between now and Thursday. I'll try to get another video so I can show my progress in a few days. As odd as it sounds, those hiking pants may have been constricting me and causing some of the problems. I noticed it 5 minutes ago while trying it, shorts from now forth.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilfromGA View Post
    Knees out, got it...

This is a lot of homework, I'll need to digest this in chunks between now and Thursday. I'll try to get another video so I can show my progress in a few days. As odd as it sounds, those hiking pants may have been constricting me and causing some of the problems. I noticed it 5 minutes ago while trying it, shorts from now forth.
    Don't get frustrated. It will take time. You are miles ahead of most anyone you know. The ones that are home sitting on their biscuit, too scared to risk it. You have some things to work on. Good for you. Many issues will clean up just with a bit of stance modification and shoving your knees out. Carry on, friend.

Here is an update. I dropped the wgt to 165 to reset and focus on the form and stance. The focus was on slightly wide stance, feet out, knees out, flat back. I feel a deeper squat and more a stable knee, but my balance is a little off still. It feels like when I drive up, my right side or left side goes up a little quick than the other. I think i may need to widen my stance just a tiny bit more.

I've also switched from doing 5 sets to only 3 sets. Not sure if this effects my form, but I felt very fresh on my last set and quickly went through the sets. I'll be looking to add some weight to this bar in the coming weeks. I'm sure my form deficiencies will be more pronounced as I go up in weight, so any pointers are helpful.

LINK 1

LINK 2

The SS DVD arrived today (on Sunday) so I'll be watching over the next few days.

Here is an update. I dropped the wgt to 165 to reset and focus on the form and stance. The focus was on slightly wide stance, feet out, knees out, flat back. I feel a deeper squat and more a stable knee, but my balance is a little off still. It feels like when I drive up, my right side or left side goes up a little quick than the other. I think i may need to widen my stance just a tiny bit more.

I've also switched from doing 5 sets to only 3 sets. Not sure if this effects my form, but I felt very fresh on my last set and quickly went through the sets. I'll be looking to add some weight to this bar in the coming weeks. I'm sure my form deficiencies will be more pronounced as I go up in weight, so any pointers are helpful.

LINK 1

LINK 2

The SS DVD arrived today (on Sunday) so I'll be watching over the next few days.
    These look a lot better to me.

Hey man, you're at my old gym! You must of started training there shortly after I left to start my own. If you'd like some help, I'm close by. Atlantabarbell@gmail.com. Also, the stands to the left have much more level flooring. Keep working at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    These look a lot better to me.
    Thanks, I'll be adding weight again this week so I'm sure it will test my form. I'll post again as I see something that needs attention. This wider stance did remind me I had a few more muscles that I'm not used to working. my abductor were sore for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kennedy View Post
    Hey man, you're at my old gym! You must of started training there shortly after I left to start my own. If you'd like some help, I'm close by. Atlantabarbell@gmail.com. Also, the stands to the left have much more level flooring. Keep working at it.
    Small world. I'm very impressed with the gym so far. just started there 1 month ago.

starting strength coach development program
    my abductor were sore for a few days..
    Yeah, that means you were doing it right (and that you hadn't been before). Keep on top of maintaining good form, adding weight as prescribed, and go see Alex for a checkup on all your lifts some time if you can.