starting strength gym

Thread: I messed up

Default I messed up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I asked for your nutritional advice a while ago, and had mentioned that I was afraid to gain weight and get fat. I was aiming for .5-1 lb gain a week with around 2700 calories. I didnt get anywhere on that diet for about 3 weeks. I couldnt make it past 190lbs on the squat. So I decided I needed to nut up and not give a fuck about getting fat, clean up my form, and reset to 135lbs. I switched it up to 3500+ calories at around 250 p/300-350 grams carbs/130 grams fat. I drank a lot of whole milk (thats included in that macro breakdown) and I got some creatine. I watch my weight skyrocket prob 3lbs a week. My waist went from 33.5-->36.5 inces (around the navel). I ignored it because I wanted to "do the program". Turns out, I am still not doing the program. My squat couldnt make it past 215 and I just reset to 195. Only 5lbs above my previous stall....

I really dont get what I am doing wrong. I get over 8 hours of sleep. It must be a form issue, because I know it cant be a nutritional one. I will post a form check soon to the appropriate board.

I want to finish out this program and get to intermediate strength levels, but I think I need to drastically change my nutrition before I gain any more. I was thinking of cutting the fat down to 100 and the carbs down to 250, and keeping the protein around 200-250. I wanted to add in a session of HIIT, but I am afraid it might hinder strength progress, and from what I have read, you dont add in fancy stuff until you have hit a respectable strength level. What do you think?

6'1 (Just a few cms under 6'1 actually)
    200lbs
    36.5 waist (navel)

Have you seen a coach?

I think it's pretty evident for whatever reason or combination of reasons that LP via the novice program is not for you. I also think you need more time under the bar and some more HIIT vs dietary changes (though I'm okay with reducing fat a smidge).

Quote Originally Posted by rmahmad View Post
    6'1 (Just a few cms under 6'1 actually)
    Not relevant to the question, but a few cm under 6'1" would also be under 6,' as 3 cm is 1.2 in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Have you seen a coach?

I think it's pretty evident for whatever reason or combination of reasons that LP via the novice program is not for you. I also think you need more time under the bar and some more HIIT vs dietary changes (though I'm okay with reducing fat a smidge).
    So I took my waist measurement again (in the morning) and it was 34.5, my 36.5 measurement happened at the end of the day, so maybe that might have skewed things. I have not seen a coach, because I literally have no money that I can spend on coaching. Pretty much living from paycheck to paycheck. That being said, I was squatting yesterday, and someone in the gym told me to move the bar a hair lower. I tried it and everything got so much freaking easier. FML. So I think I found my problem, but I am going to add in HIIT and aim for 1lb a week weight gain now.

Quote Originally Posted by rmahmad View Post
    So I took my waist measurement again (in the morning) and it was 34.5, my 36.5 measurement happened at the end of the day, so maybe that might have skewed things. I have not seen a coach, because I literally have no money that I can spend on coaching. Pretty much living from paycheck to paycheck. That being said, I was squatting yesterday, and someone in the gym told me to move the bar a hair lower. I tried it and everything got so much freaking easier. FML. So I think I found my problem, but I am going to add in HIIT and aim for 1lb a week weight gain now.
    Sounds good. Good luck!