starting strength gym

Thread: Recomposition - recovery issues

Default Recomposition - recovery issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I am a new member to SS forum, I would like to get a piece of advise.

I am trying to follow SS principles I read in PPST2 for over 10 months now, doing recomposition at the same time. I am 29 years old, I am 5'8 around 15%bf , 190 lbs. I used to use bb splits with compound movements for years, to be honest this book changed the way I see training now.

The problem I believe I am facing is recovery. I eat around 3300 - 3500 calories per day gaining weight really slow and making slow strength gains. My current lifts are:

SQ: 280 3x5
    BP: 185 3x5
    DL: 330 1x5
    MP: 140 3x5
    PC: 155 5x3

I am currently doing advanced novice routine with light squats in the middle of the week. My question is, for recomp purposes am I eating enough ? Do I need to change routine ? I wouldn't like to change routine cause my lifts are novice's however my progress is very slow and there are times my body hurts and waking up pretty tired. Maybe recomp isn't possible with this split ?

I would appreciate any input.

Nicky,

Welcome to the forum and sorry I didn't approve your post yesterday- I just didn't have time to answer it at the moment.

In any event, you're asking me a lot of questions that would require me to know your training history pretty thoroughly or- at a minimum- how things have been going lately. You know, things like how has your weight/waist/training loads changed over the past few week or even how long you've been training? Recomp is kind of a misnomer of sorts- though the term is widely used (even by me). Really what I think is happening in cases where "recomp" happens is people become more trained, slowly gain muscle, and concomitant increases in fat mass are smaller proportionally to LBM increases (or less noticeable).

If I had to make an off the cuff recommendation I'd be wondering about your sleep and further encourage you to spend more time under the bar getting big and strong before you geek out on body comp. This assumes you're not a body builder or physique athlete, of course.