starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on goji berries?

Default Thoughts on goji berries?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

My parents have randomly started to jump on the goji berry bandwagon and was wondering if it truly is an effective antioxidant or are the claims overblown?

Overblown and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Overblown and expensive.
    As most trendy nutritional interventions are, like the pomegranate craze a little while ago. I lost track of how many things have came and went in the decade of following the fitness/nutrition field.

I realized that "superfood fads" is a better term than nutritional interventions after posting.

While I'm here I'll add to the list of foods that were supposed to cure us all of all diseases (and make our skin less wrinkly!) :
    acai berries
    Avocado anything
    Coconut anything
    Quinoa
    Green tea
    Kale
    Agave nectar

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    As most trendy nutritional interventions are, like the pomegranate craze a little while ago. I lost track of how many things have came and went in the decade of following the fitness/nutrition field.
    That one weird trick to getting ripped/strong/successful/healthy is there are no tricks, no shortcuts, no secrets...unless you're selling something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That one weird trick to getting ripped/strong/successful/healthy is there are no tricks, no shortcuts, no secrets...unless you're selling something.
    Hard work and proper nutrition? Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by olui View Post
    Hi Jordan,

My parents have randomly started to jump on the goji berry bandwagon and was wondering if it truly is an effective antioxidant or are the claims overblown?
    No, just hard to spell and pronounce like those damnable acai things.

But pomegranates are awesome. Love the taste. Seriously, health wise, good old fashioned apples have better data at lowering blood pressure and the like than the super marketing, I mean super foods. Nothing especially special about any fruit except they can influence health positively. GainzZz TM, as Jordan has written is a different thing owing to the fructose vs glucose composition. But I'm not competing like he is and am comfortable with my slow assed gains.

Fruit is good, but it ain't magic (especially if its proprietary).

Thanks Jordan, it just seems like my parents are hellbent on it and here I am just thinking its a waste of macros.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by olui View Post
    Thanks Jordan, it just seems like my parents are hellbent on it and here I am just thinking its a waste of macros.
    You should convince them that the effects of goji berries are much more robust if they do resistance training and HIIT. Seems like it wouldn't be terribly hard to sell to them....