starting strength gym

Thread: Deload Week

Default Deload Week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I'm 30 year old male, 5' 7", 195ish, late stage novice with ~5 years lifting experience.

Most recent lifts:

Squat 405 x 5, Bench 285 x 5, Deadlift 460 x 5, Press 195 x 5, PC 220 x 3 x 5

I'm using Novice LP, and I'm using backoff sets on the Squat, Bench, and Press. Most recently, I've struggled with the heavy and backoff sets for squat (at 400x5 +380x5x2, and 405x5 +385x5x2). I know I'm very close to the end of novice progression, but I don't think I'm completely done. I'm feeling kinda beat up in the shoulders, and with some other issues I think I need to take a light week. I think sleep, stress and recovery are my problems, and that a light week would be sufficient and less regressive than a full deload.

I plan on something like 85-90% for 1-2 sets of 5 on each of the lifts, keeping the same A/B rotation this week, then start the following week with my last "successful" weights. (i.e. Squat 345 x 5 Sunday, 365 x 5 Tuesday, 385 x 5 Thursday, then 395 x 5 +375x5x2 the following Sunday).

I just wanted your input on this so that I can get the most out of a light week without losing too much time/progress. I need a break, I just don't want it to set me back too far.

Thanks.

Try this:

Do your scheduled weights for a single. Then back off and do 2x5 lighter back off. The following week, do your scheduled weights for sets of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Try this:

Do your scheduled weights for a single. Then back off and do 2x5 lighter back off. The following week, do your scheduled weights for sets of 5.
    That sounds interesting. I will give it a shot. Thank you very much.

Try this:

Does 2x5 mean five doubles or two fives?

2 sets of 5 reps

Try this:

The bolded part is by me. What approximate per cent would be the back-off sets be reduced compared to the set of the single?

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know, just do 2x5 with a weight that you can complete. Base it off recent training history and don't worry about the %