starting strength gym

Thread: recovery time on shoulder surgery. 3 tears 4 tears 5 tears

Default recovery time on shoulder surgery. 3 tears 4 tears 5 tears

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    anyone have a surgery with three to five tears? i have a partial bicep tear, partial supraspinatus tear, and a labrum tear. looks like a couple have it at both ends or sides. i dont know im not a doctor. lol this is why i cant get my press over 185lbs

here's the summary of the findings of the mri

Impression:
    1. Degenerative joint disease.
    2. Low to moderate grade partial thickness tear of the footprint of the
    distal supraspinatus tendon with low-grade partial thickness articular
    surface tear of the anterior fibers of the supraspinatus tendon.
    3. Partial tear of the biceps tendon.
    4. There is tear and/or fraying of the superior labrum with tear and/or
    fraying seen of the posterior inferior labrum.
    5. The scapula is not completely imaged on this MR arthrogram of the
    right shoulder. If there is clinical concern for a lesion of the medial
    border of the scapula recommend dedicated MRI of the scapula as
    clinically indicated.

so im wondering what the recovery time could be expected to be. or basicaly what to expect outside of the doctor is going to tell me at my appt next week.
    thanks
    Last edited by brettd; 10-16-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Minimum 6-8 weeks before you can do anything at all, I mean anything, and then another month or two at least of rehab before you can start lifting. I had four done, complete outer bicep tear at the shoulder/reattach lower onto humerus, labrum tear, glenoid tear, and one rotator cuff (can't remember which one now). Spent 6 weeks in a sling could not use a stick shift or do anything at all with that arm. Then couple of months PT before I could even think of lifting. That was 10 years ago, so far so good no more problems. YMMV etc.

thank you for replying. that sucks. im worried about when i can get back to work now. i was expecting like five weeks but i install floors. hopefully my aflac will help

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    thank you for replying. that sucks. im worried about when i can get back to work now. i was expecting like five weeks but i install floors. hopefully my aflac will help
    5 weeks would be amazing if they fixed all of what's on that report. However don't take my word for it, ask the surgeon(s), PT types, and get 2nd & 3rd opinions. Mine was 10 years ago so maybe techniques have improved. I have had numerous big surgeries for other body parts, (spine, head, etc.) I thought I knew what pain was about, nothing hurt like that shoulder or took so freakin' long to get back to normal walking around type function, forget about lifting or sports.