starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So before you guys view this form check I'd like to mention I've been squatting relatively heavy on starting strength and got a hip injury as I was finishing it up. The hip injury is called hip joint effusion which is basically swelling where the femur head connects to the hip. I really have no idea why this would happen as my stance isn't very wide. Was wondering if you guys could spot any issues that would specifically be causing damage to my hips but other tips are welcome as well.

I can't do heavy sets of 5 yet due to my injury but here's some light sets of 8:

Side angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPh...70kQ89eh8H5GbQ

Front angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_I...70kQ89eh8H5GbQ

I don't see anything particularly injurious about your squats, although thanks to the way you filmed them, there is not a lot for me to comment on. You may be going a little too deep. Then again, tough to say from here. Blessed are those that bother to read the sticky entitled New and Improved Read Me – Yes, This Means You.

I'll take another video on my next workout tuesday with a 45 degree angle and my feet in the shot. And that's what I thought as well. I feel like I'm going too deep.

Here's the video I took with a better angle. (Hope it is at least). Was wondering if you could see anything now particularly involving my hip injury but any other tips are accepted/greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVs...ature=youtu.be

You could probably use to drive your knees out a little more and fix your grip, but there is nothing bad about those squats. Keeping the knees out will help to buy some more space for your hips. However, I don't see anything that would ding you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You could probably use to drive your knees out a little more and fix your grip, but there is nothing bad about those squats. Keeping the knees out will help to buy some more space for your hips. However, I don't see anything that would ding you up.
    Yeah I know my grip isn't textbook but I feel more powerful out of the hole when I can grip the bar. I probably was going way too deep. In these videos I'm actually concentrating on squatting a little higher. Thanks for taking a look.

Hey I was wondering: If my form looks ok and assuming my injury wasn't caused from going too deep, do you think the problem with my hip is caused by squatting with no raised heel? A raised heel alleviates some pressure off the hip, correct?

I would doubt that your injury was caused by the lack of a raised heel, but lifting shoes are almost always a good idea. It does allow for a slightly more open hip angle.

I would doubt that your injury was caused by the lack of a raised heel, but lifting shoes are almost always a good idea. It does allow for a slightly more open hip angle.
    Sorry to keep bumping this thread. But do you think my hip injury (Inflammation of the hip capsule caused by trauma) was caused by impingement? Maybe my knees weren't far out enough relative to the depth at which I was squatting? Which I could correct by focusing on getting my knees out and squatting a little higher?

starting strength coach development program
    I think that is a reasonable hypothesis.