starting strength gym

Thread: Milk + BCAA's

Default Milk + BCAA's

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan, I have 2 quick questions about BCAA's that I'm not quite clear on given the other BCAA threads here:

1) I will be using your suggested 5 g BCAA between meals. Is it a complete waste/messing things up if I have 1 pint of whole milk with that? I'm trying to add some weight (very skinny) and will be going heavy on the milk to drive that. I'm concerned that the fat/protein levels of the milk might mess with MPS? Though I'm very noobish on this kind of stuff...

2) What I've been doing for my Peri-workout window is making one huge shake that has 20 g BCAA's + 10 g creatine + a bunch of carbs. I start drinking it Pre-Workout, drink it throughout the workout and I finish it at the end of my workout. Is this slow-drinking completely messing with the use of the BCAA's? Again my concern has to do with MPS...

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting the BCAA's and they will actually be useful to my body when I take them in.

Thank you for your time and effort that you put into this board!

Casey

1) Not a waste, but realize you're drinking the milk for extra cals and while timing might be "suboptimal"- total daily cals/macros matter more than getting 5g of bcaa between meals.

2) Yea that's pretty much a waste and you're OD'ing on the bcaas and creatine. Do 10g bcaas + half the carbs you're having and 5g creatine pre workout. Do 10g bcaas and half the carbs post workout. Drink water in the middle.

whats your order of priority to get right first?

something like:
    1: total cals
    2: macros
    3: food source (single ingredient foods etc)
    4: meal timing

Jordan,
    Sorry to be so thick headed when it comes to this peri workout nutrition but was wondering if I'm doing this right. I wake up and have a shake with 1 scoop of whey, 1/2 cup of dry quick oats, one banana, 1 cup of non fat plain greek yogurt and 8 oz of 1% milk. Then it is kids to school , errands etc and then I work out usually 2-3hrs after the shake. Right before the workout I pound 10gm's BCAA with 1 scoop of waxy maize (37gm's carbs) in water. Workout for about an hour then pound another 10 gm's of BCAA's and 5gm's creatine along with another scoop of waxy maize. Then it is shower up and food prep and usually have a meal about 1-1 1/2 hours post workout with 8oz of meat, more carbs (white rice) and veggies.

I don't now if this is ok or optimal, and was just wondering what you think. I'm 45 y/o 5'6" and about 185lbs. Thanks for any input.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    whats your order of priority to get right first?

something like:
    1: total cals
    2: macros
    3: food source (single ingredient foods etc)
    4: meal timing
    Yea that's not bad, except I'd make the caveat that these are interval data in most people's minds, but I think of them more as ordinal data. In other words, the difference between 1 and 2 is not the same as the difference between 2 and 3 (and 3 and 4). So to illustrate, it might look like this in the context of compliance:

Macros > total cals>>>>food source>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>meal timing.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePal View Post
    Jordan,
    Sorry to be so thick headed when it comes to this peri workout nutrition but was wondering if I'm doing this right. I wake up and have a shake with 1 scoop of whey, 1/2 cup of dry quick oats, one banana, 1 cup of non fat plain greek yogurt and 8 oz of 1% milk. Then it is kids to school , errands etc and then I work out usually 2-3hrs after the shake. Right before the workout I pound 10gm's BCAA with 1 scoop of waxy maize (37gm's carbs) in water. Workout for about an hour then pound another 10 gm's of BCAA's and 5gm's creatine along with another scoop of waxy maize. Then it is shower up and food prep and usually have a meal about 1-1 1/2 hours post workout with 8oz of meat, more carbs (white rice) and veggies.

I don't now if this is ok or optimal, and was just wondering what you think. I'm 45 y/o 5'6" and about 185lbs. Thanks for any input.
    Steve
    Totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea that's not bad, except I'd make the caveat that these are interval data in most people's minds, but I think of them more as ordinal data. In other words, the difference between 1 and 2 is not the same as the difference between 2 and 3 (and 3 and 4). So to illustrate, it might look like this in the context of compliance:

Sorry to pile on and I don't want to get pedantic, but my girlfriend has recently taken a shine to a more IIFYM approach after having found the Eat To Perform website and I want to get my details right. I'm excited about this because I no longer have to worry about making Orthorexia30 approved meals.

I see you rated Macros head of total cals in relation to priority, Could one argue that to have macros right your total cals would be right? I was telling her that her two biggest priorities should be Protein intake, total cals, then Fat/Carb ratio as the third highest priority. Seems to be the gist I've gathered from your previous nutrition recommendations. At least as far as body composition is concerned. She lifts heavy but she's early enough in her progression that I don't think Carb levels are dictating her performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    I see you rated Macros head of total cals in relation to priority, Could one argue that to have macros right your total cals would be right? I was telling her that her two biggest priorities should be Protein intake, total cals, then Fat/Carb ratio as the third highest priority. Seems to be the gist I've gathered from your previous nutrition recommendations. At least as far as body composition is concerned. She lifts heavy but she's early enough in her progression that I don't think Carb levels are dictating her performance.
    Sure one could argue that. Alternatively, one could argue that total calories are determined by total macros AND that the macros have a unique impact on metabolic rate when looked at in the setting of isocaloric diets with different macros. I don't know if I'd break it down more simply than "macros" unless compliance is suspect.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Wow, what a fantastic way to put it.