starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Common problems for lower back rounding?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I don't agree with what you are saying. Lower back rounding comes from lack of awareness, weak electors (too much weight) or injury. If your back is rounding, lower weight until it isn't and work up from there. I have spent weeks at 95-135 with a kid that couldn't get it right. He eventually did.
    I've already done this. I've lowered the weight to 225 where my form was perfect and worked up over weeks but when I got back up to where it felt heavy my lower back still wanted to round.

You may need a coach. These things don't necessarily just happen josh Wells and I work with one another every training opportunity we have. It ain't easy. Slow progress is better than no progress.

You may need a coach. These things don't necessarily just happen josh Wells and I work with one another every training opportunity we have. It ain't easy. Slow progress is better than no progress.
    I probably do but it's hard to find a competent coach in my area. I've just started doing mobility work so hopefully that helps a bit. I'll post a proper vid here after training tomorrow and you can take a look at it if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by roundedback View Post
    I probably do but it's hard to find a competent coach in my area. I've just started doing mobility work so hopefully that helps a bit. I'll post a proper vid here after training tomorrow and you can take a look at it if you wish.
    I don't think you need mobility work, you need to STOP allowing your back to round - I think its too mobile now. I worked with a client last night that was easily pulling 365...we backed him to 225 before we got him to stop dropping his hips and rounding his back. He didn't do a single stretch or any other nonsense.

You need to learn how to get control of your lower back.

This isn't the best angle for the sticky but I just wanted you to see my back angle so you could see what my issue is when it comes to my back. I recorded one set with 275 and one at 365 where my form broke down. Ignore that thing I'm doing with my lats. I'm just trying different things and it didn't work so I'm not going to do it anymore.

275: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcjp...ature=youtu.be

365: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT9n...70kQ89eh8H5GbQ

Were you a swimmer?

I actually think 365 looked better than 275. Hips dropped on 275, it looked lazy to me. 365 had focus.

Quit over extending at the top. Stand up in normal anatomical position with the bar hanging from your hands.

No I wasn't a swimmer. Why?

I also agree with you that I'm lazy with lighter weights but I'm working on it.

So you're saying my back angle looked safe with 365? The problem is if I keep training with a back angle that isn't perfect then it'll slowly get worse as the weight goes up.

And yeah sometimes I forget to not overextend. So many cues going on in my mind I'm really just focusing on my back.

Another thing I feel like I'm locking my lower back does it look like I am in the vid?

There is a tiny bit of flexion in the lower back above the lumbar area on the 365 that does not change throughout the pull. In general, it was better than the 275. Continue to focus, every set, treat all sets like they are 405.

starting strength coach development program
    There is a tiny bit of flexion in the lower back above the lumbar area on the 365 that does not change throughout the pull. In general, it was better than the 275. Continue to focus, every set, treat all sets like they are 405.
    Ok, I think I got it figured out and tell me if I'm wrong here. Since I'm starting the movement with my hips really high I have a really open knee angle which makes my lower body extremely powerful. But I also have almost a horizontal back angle when in the starting position of the deadlift. I feel like this is creating a huge moment arm for my lower back and the isometric contraction of my spinal erectors isn't strong enough to keep my back flat and I end up rounding my back just so I can break the bar off the floor.

So the logical thing to do would be to lower my hips to reduce the moment arm between my lower back and the bar. Would you agree with this or are there other factors I'm missing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast