starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving the Piano

Default Moving the Piano

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How many of you have lifted and moved an upright iron framed piano? They are awkward and heavy. One thing I have realised is over the years is since doing SS it is great to be able to move a load symmetrically, however moving and lifting difficult objects like a piano for most folk is a precursor to a back injury.

Doing Mark's SS has for me at least prevented back injuries and helped me to move things like pianos, fridges and washing machines and carry the groceries for the Mrs without killing myself.

There are probably other befits that I have not mentioned

Would that be a fair comment on the benefits of Strength Training?

I put my 4 year old grandson on my shoulders and walked him at least a 1/4 of a mile. He is about 50 pounds. I don't think I could have done this a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    How many of you have lifted and moved an upright iron framed piano? They are awkward and heavy. One thing I have realised is over the years is since doing SS it is great to be able to move a load symmetrically, however moving and lifting difficult objects like a piano for most folk is a precursor to a back injury.

Doing Mark's SS has for me at least prevented back injuries and helped me to move things like pianos, fridges and washing machines and carry the groceries for the Mrs without killing myself.

There are probably other befits that I have not mentioned

Would that be a fair comment on the benefits of Strength Training?
    I've moved a few, I just made sure I had enough help and mechanical advantage. We moved our 6' 1" grand across a carpeted room (can't be rolled on carpet!) a couple of years ago. The back leg was in a corner and the only thing I could do was get underneath it on my hands and knees and lift it straight up while the rest of the crew moved it a few inches out, and repeat until we could get a body behind it.

The moving of odd objects is a skillset acquired by experience. Just 3 weeks ago I moved a refrigerator solo from our kitchen through our living room, and down a total of 7 steps to the curb for pickup. It wasn't pretty, but I got it done without significant damage to our hardwood floors by careful rocking through leg and hip drive rendering it momentarily buoyant so it could be moved.

I am a mere rookie at this. The Old Man was a master of it and I only learned a fraction of how to do it by watching and heaving alongside him.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I've moved a few, I just made sure I had enough help and mechanical advantage. We moved our 6' 1" grand across a carpeted room (can't be rolled on carpet!) a couple of years ago. The back leg was in a corner and the only thing I could do was get underneath it on my hands and knees and lift it straight up while the rest of the crew moved it a few inches out, and repeat until we could get a body behind it.
    Yes, and I know why you can't roll them over a carpet floor, because they have these tiny little metal wheels that bite into the carpet and dig it up, but you have the advantage of having dead-lifted and squatted which is close to most useful lifts for general purpose lifting.

Mark I have moved all sorts of heavy objects over tiled floors so what is did is to got some scrap carpet put the pile down hessian side up and put it under the fridge or whatever and dragged them over the floor, that is for one man on his own. I know they come with wheels, but they still mark the floors, especially clear coat wooden floors.

Did you get the fridge degassed? The scrappies here will not take a fridge or freezer unless you have certificate from a refrigeration mechanic that the thing has had all the freon decanted.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I put my 4 year old grandson on my shoulders and walked him at least a 1/4 of a mile. He is about 50 pounds. I don't think I could have done this a couple of years ago.
    How many times do you reckon you could squat up and down with 50 lbs on your back?

How many times do you reckon you could squat up and down with 50 lbs on your back?
    Fifty pounds is about what he weighs. Good analogy. Fifty pound squat seems like next to nothing anymore so since I have squatted over 200 times with nothing on my back I would suppose I could squat that many with 50.

Depends on how long before he gets bored, hungry, or needs to take a leak. Aside from that, infinity.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, and I know why you can't roll them over a carpet floor, because they have these tiny little metal wheels that bite into the carpet and dig it up, but you have the advantage of having dead-lifted and squatted which is close to most useful lifts for general purpose lifting.
    That, plus the possibility of snapping the legs off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast