starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running intervals

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    I think that if you are going to insist on running, you should investigate Tabata intervals. Brutally short and painful, but easy to recover from and not very taxing overall (other than in pain).
    Thanks, I just read up on it. Sounds brutal. I think I'll give that a go. Maybe start around 75%. If blood doesn't shoot out of my ears, then I'll ramp it up next time.

Running outside is very easy to track with a gps running app on your phone. Plus you get the benefits of vitamin d from the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by drcube View Post
    So what is the standard recommendation for people who want to improve their conditioning but who don't have access to a prowler or rower?

I work out in my home gym. I'm certainly going to get a prowler eventually, but I need to replace my shitty barbell with a good one first. And I'd like to maybe get to a seminar eventually. Not to mention a lot of other non-S&C-related purchases on the docket, and it's not like I'm wallowing in disposable income at the moment. So a prowler isn't necessarily my top priority yet. (Should it be? Is it that important?)

Nevertheless, I'd like to start doing some HIIT on my non-lifting days, and the most accessible thing to do looks like sprints on the street outside my house. I was also thinking about taking the wheels and handle off an old wheelbarrow, throwing some weights in there and pushing it around like a prowler.

Any other suggestions?
    I mountain bike, so I have a bike with a trainer (basically turns any bike into a stationary bike) that I use for the conditioning at home. Turning up the resistance and doing sprint intervals works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You live in an apartment complex in Alaska, Canada, or in the mountains without a parking lot?
    Exactly. The only access is by dogsled.

Quote Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
    Running outside is very easy to track with a gps running app on your phone. Plus you get the benefits of vitamin d from the sun.
    I don't have a phone, other than a land line inside the house. I don't carry any electronics around with me. I'm afraid the Obama people will track me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    My perspective on this is that a metered device like a treadmill, rower or bike allows for better incremental approaches to training. For example, I typically row 8x500m or 5x1500m intervals with set rest periods. I approach each set of intervals with an intent to maintain the entire set at least 0.5-10 seconds less than my last average time/500m. This allows for an incremental approach I would be less able to attain on a school track or some other outdoor format, and keeps me pushing a little harder each time. As I've been at this for a while, the smaller increment is pretty tough to maintain through the sets and also helps work the mental aspects.
    Did you used to be a rower? 8x500 and 5x1500 were pretty standard interval pieces for our team in college. I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rmahmad View Post
    Did you used to be a rower? 8x500 and 5x1500 were pretty standard interval pieces for our team in college. I was just curious.
    Yup, but just college intramural stuff. It stuck though I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Peano View Post
    Exactly. The only access is by dogsled.

I don't have a phone, other than a land line inside the house. I don't carry any electronics around with me. I'm afraid the Obama people will track me.
    These responses were good. Nicely done.

He catches on quickly. Maybe he'll be Staff soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He catches on quickly. Maybe he'll be Staff soon.
    If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

starting strength coach development program
    Ditch the sled, just hitch the dogs to you, yell "Hike!" and sprint the other way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12