starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift belt issue testimonial

Default Deadlift belt issue testimonial

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark,

I somehow missed your article about the deadlift and belts (and any other thoughts you've expressed on the subject) until recently.

I'm 5'8" and have a 4" Best Belt, which is fantastic for squatting, but has always felt weird while deadlifting ... I never feel locked in position, and it's hard to get set, etc.

I took time off over the summer for sickness and injury, and I've been running a linear progression to get back into things. It's been going well, but the deadlift has felt even more awkward and frustrating than ever. The weight goes up, but it just feels wrong. I finally saw your article and decided to skip the belt for my next deadlift session, which was yesterday.

It was amazing. My back felt better after deadlifting without the belt than it's felt after belted deadlifts in a while. I could feel myself locking into place. The "tighten everything and lift chest until it's uncomfortable" (my paraphrasing) cue finally made sense and worked for me. And my whole back stayed in what felt like the proper position throughout the range of motion. The belt-less 395x5 was easier and less dramatic than the previous session's belted 385x5.

I'll be watching www.BestBelts.net to see when they start offering the 2.5" belt, and until then, I'll be pulling belt-less.

Anyway, a belated thanks for the article. You have helped me pull my head out of my ass once again.

Maybe we should re-post that article, just in case you're not alone in your inattention:

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the...d-the-deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by paterfamilias View Post
    I'll be watching www.BestBelts.net to see when they start offering the 2.5" belt, and until then, I'll be pulling belt-less.
    They offer the 2.5' belt now. It says 'image/description coming soon', but you can enter a size and add it to your cart over on the right-hand side of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by paterfamilias View Post
    I'll be watching www.BestBelts.net to see when they start offering the 2.5" belt
    Don't wait just call and ask for one.

Well, hell. I read that as saying they weren't available yet. Clearly I was wrong.

Rip, I love the article, so thank you for providing the information because as you say in the article, I've "just plain old never given it any thought."

The only thing I'm unclear on before coughing up the $90 for a smaller belt is whether to get a 2.5" or 3" belt. Obviously anthropometry is a key factor, but what are the disadvantages/advantages of each belt?

The advantage is that if it fits, it works better. The disadvantage is that if it doesn't fit, it won't work as well. Fitting depends on your waist dimension. Start with the 3" and go down if necessary.

well i'll be darned, I have spent hours reading everything I can by you coach and I dont remember seeing this. This is good, I use a 4 inch belt but wont be anymore. The other day I deadlifted just some lighter sets with no belt and it felt good, now I know why.

They make em for you, so order sooner rather than later. I ordered a 3" on the 16th and got my update last night:

This message is to let you know that your order (Order Number 18430) is now in our manufacturing department where it is being custom made by hand.
    This process normally takes 7-14 working days to complete and you will receive another email as soon as your order is ready to ship.
    So get in line before the next wave of orders ;-) which will be caused by this thread.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mweitz View Post
    They make em for you, so order sooner rather than later. I ordered a 3" on the 16th and got my update last night:

So get in line before the next wave of orders ;-) which will be caused by this thread.
    I ordered mine on the 20th. I'ma be the belle of the ball in my new royal blue 2.5" party belt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast