starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A comment

Arrow A comment

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I downloaded PPST3 today for my kindle. I already had PPST3 in hard copy (an autographed one) SS 1st edition in hard copy, SS 3rd edition on Kindle, Strong Enough and MOMG on the Kindle. I downloaded PPST3 today because I was trying to figure something out about my training and I was out and about, figured I should have an electronic copy on hand also. I realized I read something you've written on most days, even if it's just on this forum.

I also realized, not to be too sentimental, but you have like totally changed my life through your writing. Before I started reading your stuff, I was very confused about exercise. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the perfect program, the perfect, balance of exercises, etc. Now, I am not really confused about training, and I can worry about other stuff. Also I'm a lot stronger, but still not "strong enough".

Btw, the thing I was trying to figure out was in the book. So no question today, just thanks.

Regards,

Randy

Glad we could help.

If I can jump in with my own thanks - today I was attempting a new 3 rep weight on my deadlifts. Managed the first two, cocked up the third. Normally when I screw these up it's technique as much as strength and I if I need a reminder of technique, I always re-read this sentence from your T-Nation article:

You just step up to the bar with a vertical-jump stance width, with toes out and your shins about an inch from the bar, grab it just outside your stance with your knees still straight, then bend your knees forward and out a little bit until your shins touch the bar, squeeze your chest up until your back is flat, take a big breath, and drag the bar up your legs until you're standing up straight.
    And I got the third lift...

Yeah, this stuff's just not that complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    If I can jump in with my own thanks - today I was attempting a new 3 rep weight on my deadlifts. Managed the first two, cocked up the third. Normally when I screw these up it's technique as much as strength and I if I need a reminder of technique, I always re-read this sentence from your T-Nation article:

And I got the third lift...

Me too. And on this note can I ask if anyone else gets light headed when they attempt the deadlift using the valsalva maneuver? This is the only lift where this happens or moi.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    Me too. And on this note can I ask if anyone else gets light headed when they attempt the deadlift using the valsalva maneuver? This is the only lift where this happens or moi.
    That happened for me on the deadlift and power clean. I'm guessing I've adapted, since I no longer experience it.

I think you've learned how to take a breath properly. People tend to overbreathe in some situations that don't involve an initial eccentric phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you've learned how to take a breath properly. People tend to overbreathe in some situations that don't involve an initial eccentric phase.
    I'll definitely bear that in mind; the last few sessions I've felt so much pressure in my head it felt like my eardrums were about to rupture. Probably a good example of me Doing It Wrong.

Yeah, this stuff's just not that complicated.
    This needs to be a new T-shirt slogan

starting strength coach development program
    You know, I had not though of that, but looking back, I believe you are entirely correct. [as usual]
    I used to hyperventilate a little, while psyching my self up for [what seemed] a heavy pull.
    Now I simply take a single deep breath, do the Valsalva, and lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast