starting strength gym

Thread: Prowler vs Wingate/Airdyne

Default Prowler vs Wingate/Airdyne

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Which do you prefer overall and why?

Thanks.

Wingate. You can set it so where you have to achieve a certain RPM before the weight/resistance rapidly increases and then it's just an all out war. It is very hard to duplicate with any other modality, but you CANNOT cheat or mail it in. That said, they are stupid expensive. So when money is a concern, airdyne > prowler because you can do it inside so weather is not a deterrent. That said, I like the prowler a whole lot too for active recovery and training "legs" when someone's back is jacked up.

Jordan.
    What do you think about having a more calories throughout the day after HITT session for a performance increases?

Assuming that our TDEE and BMR are much increased after HITT session(24 hour),so we are less likely wil get a fat tissue even with a cheat meal(reasonable more calories about 500~600),further fat loss due to increased metabolic rate,increased overall recovery.

A follow up to the OP:

I have a road bike on a trainer that I use for HIIT. I've never used an Airdyne. Is there a worthwhile advantage to the Airdyne over the bike-on-a-trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That said, they are stupid expensive.
    I've contemplated approaching my old professor/head of the ex. phys. lab where I graduated and asking if I could buy the old one they use since, you know, "it's old" and they "need a new one". But yeah, stupid expensive is about right.

Yeah, the weather point is a good one.

And I think the potential to load the Prowler very heavily might be a downside to it for me. I'd always be fighting the temptation to treat it like a barbell and stack on as much weight as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    Jordan.
    What do you think about having a more calories throughout the day after HITT session for a performance increases?

Assuming that our TDEE and BMR are much increased after HITT session(24 hour),so we are less likely wil get a fat tissue even with a cheat meal(reasonable more calories about 500~600),further fat loss due to increased metabolic rate,increased overall recovery.
    I don't think a cheat meal is likely to be advantageous in any regard, really.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorinexile View Post
    A follow up to the OP:

I have a road bike on a trainer that I use for HIIT. I've never used an Airdyne. Is there a worthwhile advantage to the Airdyne over the bike-on-a-trainer?
    The airdyne allows you to use your arms.

starting strength coach development program
    At one point in time, I had a prowler (two actually - one for home, one for fire station), C2, and Airdyne.

I only have the latter of the three these days.

Draw your own conclusions.

I would love to score a Monark, but the real deal is rather expensive and thus rare to find at a good price.