starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-Workout and Pre-Bedtime Shake

Default Post-Workout and Pre-Bedtime Shake

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I searched this forum and found several threads about what should be put in a post workout shake. So please don't flame me to go search.

I am fortunate enough to have a gym at my work that I can use during my lunch break. That said, if I choose to workout at work, this leaves me limited on what I can consume right after working out as I do not have access to an sort of kitchen or appliances. I'm looking for the best shake option that can be mixed in a shaker bottle or brought with me without need for refrigeration etc.

Whey protein + what for carbs? Dextrose? Maltodextrin? What is the difference between those two? Maybe something else? Maybe portable food like a poptart for carbs + whey?

I'm still new to this whole training nutrition thing and I'm trying to learn all I can. I really did search the forums, both using google and the forum search. Maybe I'm just a noob and require a little more explanation.

Also, is it a good idea to down a shake right before bed? If so, what should I be looking to pack into it besides protein, if anything?

Thank you ahead of time and sorry if this is beating a dead horse.

Let's see if the readers of this subforum have learned. What say you guys (and girls)?

I'll take a stab at it...
    1st what are your stats?
    Age?
    Weight?
    Lifts?
    Goals?

Next if you you can bring one shaker cup you can bring two. You do own more than one, right?

Having read a lot of Jordan's work, I would also think you might consider some BCAAs preworkout 10G + 5G creatine, maybe some caffeine and Beta Alanine. But mostly BCAAs

Because you are limited by time and environment for PWO shake probably look at 2 scoops of whey (45-50G). Carb source could be almost anything but something that mixes in your shake is probably easiest. Vitargo 1 or 2 scoops..or pop tarts...because pop tarts!

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post

Whey protein + what for carbs? Dextrose? Maltodextrin? What is the difference between those two? Maybe something else? Maybe portable food like a poptart for carbs + whey?
    I think Jordan would say that although fast acting carbs (Dextrose and Maltodextrine) are optimal PWO but if you don't train multiple time a day it doesn't matter, I use oat post workout for example because is cheaper.

In general this is a post on Supplement on top of the section, it will take you days to read it all but it definitely contain many useful info on supplementation.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    I'm still new to this whole training nutrition thing and I'm trying to learn all I can. I really did search the forums, both using google and the forum search. Maybe I'm just a noob and require a little more explanation.

Also, is it a good idea to down a shake right before bed? If so, what should I be looking to pack into it besides protein, if anything?

Thank you ahead of time and sorry if this is beating a dead horse.
    Regarding a protein shake before bed, I bet Mr. GainzZz would say 'if it fit your macro', now if you are newbie to the forum it may not mean nothing to you.

For a bit of background on dieting and macro depending on your goal I think this article from Jordan is a good starting point:

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/ [this link is as well on one of the sticky post]

and if you want to know more about protein timing:

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/nutri...rotein-intake/

There are a lot of good stuff on the forum you just need to be patient and dig it out

@Jordan how do I score?

*puts hand in air*

is it 10-15g BCAA + 2g Beta alanine + 2g HMB (if you have some laying around) + 5g Citrulline Malate (ditto) Mr Doctor Professor?

You have a gym at work but no fridge? I'm trying to wrap my head around that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan feigenbaum View Post
    let's see if the readers of this subforum have learned. What say you guys (and girls)?
    iifym?

For the first question, the key is to minimize fat intake in the peri-workout meals. Besides that, it does not matter what kind of carbs you get. Some people like fast-digesting carbs, some people like slow-digesting carbs. On average over a long period of time you will get effectively the same results.

Protein only would be the best pre-bed, protein does not inhibit GH secretion during sleep like fats or carbs. So a whey only shake would do you just fine here.

Protein shakes would be okay to have either at work or/and before bed of it helps you hit your macros.

Add creatine to one of your shakes for sure. And I usually go for some simple carbs to match with my shake. Maybe a granola bar, poptart, snickers etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Whey protein is a convenient protein source for a post-workout shake considering your needs. For carbs, you have the option of going with powders or whole foods. Powders can be any or all of maltodextrin, dextrose, or waxy maize (or the next fancy carb some food scientist comes up with). Waxy maize is be your best bet as far as the aforementioned options. It may be better tolerated than maltodextrin or dextrose, which may cause massive bloating as they (especially dextrose) tend to draw water into your digestive tract.

As far as whole foods, you can precook something like sweet potatoes and mash them up with applesauce and your whey protein and pack this sludge when you go to the gym. Jordan has suggested this once on his website. You can also try quick oats. Put some in your shaker with your dry whey protein. Mix it up after your workout and drink it after a few minutes so the oats can soak and soften. Or, you can grind up the oats into a powder and do the same thing. Lifter's choice.

Of course, you can also pack some Pop-Tarts or other high-carb sweet treats as your carb source if you don't have a tendency to fall off the rails with sweet foods.

Single ingredient foods (sweet potatoes, oats) tend to be a great way to hit your daily fiber goal. If you don't need to do this then feel free to choose whatever you like.

And as far as the pre-bed shake: it's fine to do this if you need it to hit your protein goals for the day. Also, if you want maximum gainz from that pre-bed shake, drink it 3-5 hours after your dinner (or whatever you call the previous meal). Jordan has written about this. Caveat: If you tend to wake up in the middle of the night to tinkle when you drink too much liquid, I would recommend drinking this shake some time before bed.

Also, read the sticky "Welcome to the Nutrition Q/A..." and its second post. This way, you will know to go to Jordan's website http://www.barbellmedicine.com/ to read about his past recommendations. There's some great content there. I would recommend the post "To Be a Beast" as your starting point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast