starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetic death spiral

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You will be shocked at just how much control you have over the doctors test results just by eating real food, loosing weight and excercising.

A few years ago I was in a very similar state, but 2" shorter. I was told by my dentist, after he took my blood pressure, to run don't walk to the doctor if I wanted to see my grandkids. I didn't see a doctor* but I did completely change my diet, lost 80lbs, and started lifting. A couple months ago I did a health screening for insurance purposes and my BP was in range on systolic and like two points high diastolic. I was also perfect on all other metrics except (surprise) waist and body fat.

*I'm neither bragging about that nor recommending anyone else do it. Just pointing out that absolutely no professional medical intervention was required to achieve these outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    You're are mistaken to say that you're condition precludes physical activity. On the contrary, a well designed regime will help you immensely. I don't know what doctor told you not to lift, but the transient elevation in blood pressure is not the problem, the sustained high blood pressure is. I would be ecstatic if any of my patients actually had the motivation to workout. I would certainly never suggest that they should avoid it, except in specific and extreme circumstances. The problems you list all respond favorably to exercising, and I can't see a reason why lifting specifically should be avoided. Lose weight, gain muscle. You should need fewer blood pressure and diabetes meds. Unless there is more you're not saying....
    Agree 100%. And there is much missing here from a medical perspective. However, before doing anything else and I mean anything, you need to clarify WITH YOUR DOCTOR what your "uncontrolled hypertension" means and WHY it is uncontrolled. No good thing can possibly come from that term. And it's completely unacceptable to just leave it as is. As Rip said, this is a medical issue that needs treatment from a competent physician.

Isn't this whole proscription against weight lifting for people with high blood pressure related to all that misunderstanding about the "dangers" of the valsalva?

Pretty much.

"Uncontrolled high blood pressure" should not be a practical contraindication to lifting. Yes, if your blood pressure is, at this moment, 230/125, then doing a set of squats is probably not the best idea, especially because they don't have a squat rack in the ER, and the ER is where you should and probably will be, because you probably won't feel well.

But "uncontrolled" blood pressure should not be a chronic contraindication to exercise. Because, quite frankly, we have more drugs than you have blood pressure. Hell...I can make your blood pressure go to zero, if I want. In Western Civilization, virtually anybody's blood pressure can be controlled with inexpensive medication.

ANY vigorous exercise will improve glycemic control and help to lower blood pressure. Strength training does all that AND increases muscle mass (with attendant increases in insulin sensitivity) and strength (with attendant increases in strength).

And the Valsalva Kills thing is just dead, as far as I'm concerned.

This post is for ejaculatory bloviational purposes only and does not represent medical advice for any particular patient, disease, disorder or condition. See your doctor and try to do what he says. Remember: he knows more....than you do. I really do not want your blood pressure to go to zero.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Ejaculatory blotivational? Autocorrect mistake or not, I'm using that...

At 300 pounds, untrained, you are morbidly obese.

Keep seeing the Doc for the health stuff, but get your diet under control. Drop all processed carbs, eat lots of veggies, fruits, proteins. At your weight, you don't need to worry about your lifts, they should progress nicely even with a caloric deficit.

Train 3 days a week with weights, go for walks, push a prowler. Get off your ass, it doesn't have to be balls out every day, but you need to be doing something besides eating fucking ho hos and watching Real Housewives.

Don't worry about your lifts, just start light and progress. Body weight and all the other shit is more important for you at this moment...

Life is short, life is precious, stop fucking wasting it.

Right now you should follow your Doctor's advice. Emphasize healthy eating and slow cardio such as walking.

Once your BP is under control, start lifting weights.

Diet is the key.

starting strength coach development program
    Why should he not lifts weights now?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast