starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TM and time??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    How do you get progress squatting at 92% of your best
    92% of 5rm for volume. Then going up 2.5kg every intensity day.

Total mistake due to piss poor maths. I was going to do 5x3 at 90% of 5rm but due to stupidity, did 92%. Once I realised, I went bright red but decided to carry on.

Probably a 4 day split in each case. Mon/Thurs for Bench/Press and Tue/Fri for Squat/Pull

Or if you wanted to increase frequency you could just do that same thing on a 2 on / 1 off schedule that would get you in the gym 5 days per week but with shorter workouts
    And what do to when one only has 2 (or 3) days per week with about 1h time each? Goals would be general strength and physique.

Thanks

To warm up properly, take adequate rest time, etc then usually an hour is sufficient for two major lifts. For a very early novice, you can get 3 barbell lifts in in an hour. But once you get stronger and add warm up sets and more rest, 2 starts to hit that 60 min ceiling.

I've probably just put the Press/Bench on the AB rotation, Squat on Monday and Friday, and Deadlift on Wednesday.

To warm up properly, take adequate rest time, etc then usually an hour is sufficient for two major lifts. For a very early novice, you can get 3 barbell lifts in in an hour. But once you get stronger and add warm up sets and more rest, 2 starts to hit that 60 min ceiling.

I've probably just put the Press/Bench on the AB rotation, Squat on Monday and Friday, and Deadlift on Wednesday.
    I assume squats would be first on their days, deadlifts second, am i right? Volume would be the normal 3x5 / 1x5 ?

Thanks

Probably, although not critical on exercise order. I have one guy that does this set up and prefers to deadlift first, before pressing. Most prefer to keep it last. On volume, yes, likely the same.

Could this work using a TM template? Or would the lack of the light squat day on Wednesday limit progress? Currently I'm on advance novice programming but can only get about 1.5 hours of gym time 3 days a week.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, but the light squat really isn't the culprit for eating up time. That comes from the volume day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12