starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question about age and strength

Default Hypothetical question about age and strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach, as a thought experiment, if twin A starts lifting early in life, say age 20, and twin B starts at 50, at what age, if ever, will their lifts be roughly equal? Assume training is optimal for each at every stage.

On the one hand, I can imagine that gains achieved at an early stage are enduring, on the other hand, it seems possible that both converge on their genetic potential which, by definition, is identical.

For context, I started at 50 and I'm wondering at what point the age I started is irrelevant.

Thanks!

Why would they ever be equal? Even if you started at exactly the same time, why would they be equal? Do you think genetics is the only variable in the attainment of physical potential?

I actually know two twins who started training at the same time together. They still don't lift the same weights, and even have different injuries/tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would they ever be equal? Even if you started at exactly the same time, why would they be equal? Do you think genetics is the only variable in the attainment of physical potential?
    When I see twins it does make me question the part that genetics plays. You would think that throughout their lives, twins would eat different things, play different sports etc, have different stresses at school, etc etc, yet they still have identical builds. Why wouldn't this also apply to training potential?

Interested to know if you have ever trained twins together or if there are any twins in weightlifting/powerlifting circles?

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    You would think that throughout their lives, twins would eat different things, play different sports etc, have different stresses at school, etc etc, yet they still have identical builds.
    But, they don't. Maybe when they're 12, but not for long thereafter.

I've known 2 sets of identical twins when I was in the Navy. Both had the same builds as each other. Unless you knew them well you couldn't tell them apart.

But, they don't. Maybe when they're 12, but not for long thereafter.
    ive known 2 sets of identical twins and as adults they are genuinely still built exactly the same. They don't train though.

Hasn't been my experience with twins that had separate lives and experiences. We'll ask.

This thread has massive potential to go only south from here...

Hasn't been my experience with twins that had separate lives and experiences. We'll ask.
    Are you sure you want to go here? I see pictures of the barbarian brothers in our future...

starting strength coach development program
    I understand that there is a lot more to strength than genetics.

But hypothetically one twin starts at 20, peaks at, say 38, then maintains and maybe declines until death. The other twin is a novice at 50. Will he catch his brother, everything else being equal. If not, than the age you start must be an important parameter INDEPENDENT of genetic potential. If they converge, than the age you start is not a dependent variable as to ultimate strength potential.

This isn't to say that age isn't important, it clearly is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast