starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling (No Barbell)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Why travel with fractional plates?

A cheapo "45 lb" plate can easily be off by 2-3 lbs either way, as can a cheap barbell.
    Do you start each workout at each gym you visit by weighing everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Domnin View Post
    You have to remember to put them in an outside pocket in your luggage so they are easier to take in and out or you're an amateur. Just send them through with your shoes and what not! Don't try to be clever!
    Yes, I actually do take them out now-a-days. There is this one TSA guy at the TSA Pre check security check point that kind of laughs at me every time and says "You again with your plates."

I use an app called Gymsurfing. Works pretty well, gives information about location, pricing and equipment of gyms that allow walk-ins.

starting strength coach development program
    I've really been struggling with this. I travel continuously. Seriously - as in I have no home base and travel with just what fits in my day bag.

The single biggest thing I miss about giving up a home is my basement gym. Well, the girlfriend was pretty cool also...

I travel all over the world, so free weights/barbells are occasionally available, but far from reliable.

I've tried bodyweight stuff and it is okay to keep from from deteriorating too quickly - but honestly, it just doesn't compare to the barbell. Also, I don't really trust any progression that doesn't involve hard numbers in a spreadsheet.

In pure desperation, I have bought a sensor from Amazon that is used for weighing things like deer carcasses. The isometric/isotonic article from Starr has headed me down this route.

Using some straps and a hickory cane and a homemade iPhone app to read the sensor and beep at me (don't ask...) I have cobbled together an isometric/isotonic routine that is similar to an old article ascribed to Bill March. That, combined with chins/dips and 3 or 4 times a month finding a real gym and doing the real lifts is what I am trying now. It is desperate, but it is the best I can come up with short of consigning myself to a fixed domicile.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com.es/2011...ill-march.html

For reference, I am 53 and would consider myself intermediate for my age. The iso stuff is definitely nothing to play around with. I don't recommend it for anyone that doesn't already have a firm grasp of the basic lifts.

In reading this, I see how ridiculous it sounds. The problem is that I can't figure out anyway to get all of the benefits of a barbell without a barbell. The closest that I can imagine is rigging up something with straps and a force sensor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12