starting strength gym
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How do you measure triceps strength ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think we all agree. Forget about measuring triceps strength and worry about bench numbers. Triceps assistance is a good idea for intermediate programming.

So when is that asshole Hanley gonna dunk the shot?? Vid or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by hreed View Post
    I think we're all in agreement then, and should also re-emphasize that the dips/LTE's are to be added after the main workout. Myself, I alternate dips/LTE's on bench days, the last lifts of the day. The OP is also likely in some intermediate program, so assistance work should not be shunned.
    Shunned - no

Applied judiciously - yes

Whilst I'm not entirely sure how the volume thing works I have increased my benching frequency to 3 times a week in the past but found that I couldn't recover from this and actually got weaker on the bench.

What I thought might be a good idea as an assistance exercise due to it being a much easier exercise on the joints is the close grip floor press as this appears to work the area that I'm weakest in on the bench.
    Last edited by Tredaway; 10-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.

A thread that turned out a good read.

Im in the no assistance camp and just finding the right amount of volume but im no coach. Also whatever increases your bp i would not change

Quote Originally Posted by Tredaway View Post
    What I thought might be a good idea as an assistance exercise due to it being a much easier exercise on the joints is the close grip floor press as this appears to work the area that I'm weakest in on the bench.
    I have done DB floor presses on occasion for the same reason. I can't say for certain that it helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

The reason that adding triceps assistance works well and more optimally than "do more bench and press" for a lot of folks, is that the triceps is a large and (should be) powerful muscle group, with the ability to tolerate more volume than smaller, weaker areas. Pec tendons, rotator cuffs, etc. can get aggravated long before the triceps have received optimal stimulation from said exercises.
    Last edited by HONEYBADGER; 10-30-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tredaway View Post
    Whilst I'm not entirely sure how the volume thing works
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/N5WhvFJ0Yj4

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Fuck. Is there a more irritating video on the fucking internet? His points are valid, but lord, the delivery and those air quotes annoy the fuck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Fuck. Is there a more irritating video on the fucking internet? His points are valid, but lord, the delivery and those air quotes annoy the fuck out of me.
    Well, for a reduced degree of annoyment just read it instead: The Dirty Secret of Programming

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for sharing, the next thing is how do apply it sensibly is it a simple matter of just adding more work sets over a period of time and keep and monitor your recovery levels ie if your strength declines reduce the sets ?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast