starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbness is hip which squatting

Default Numbness is hip which squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, this post is an update to a previous thread which is closed ---> http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=52525

Follow the advice given (knee in front of toe in the earlier part of the movement and kept that.torso kept rigid) but now instead of pain she feels numbness at that exact same spot. Any thought about what it might be? Thanks!

Numbness does not sound very good. Is the numbness an absence of pain, or is she having trouble balancing when she is standing up or walking?

Yup, that spot doesn't hurt anymore after correction of technique but it has changed to numbness. She experiences trouble balancing when coming out of the hole - she tends to lean on one side more, especially when fatigue sets in.

This is all very vague. I don't know what to tell you, nor do I have nearly enough information. If someone is truly numb, that implies a problem with a nerve. It also probably means they have reduced volitional control of the area. The hip is a very large area. I have no idea what numbness in the hip means. Where exactly? How do you know it is numb? If you palpate it, is there no sensation whatsoever? Just because someone wobbles when squatting does not mean there is a pathology. It just might mean they need some coaching. I cannot tell you much more from here.

Hi Tom, no worries about it. I understand that the explanation is quite vague. Let me try to make things a little clearer. This is quoted from her explaining how it feels like. The "numbness" is felt about 3-4 inches inferior of the ASIS. There is sensation when it is palpated. She has control over that area just that it feels like that particular spot "goes numb" (the sensation is akin to feet "going to sleep" when you sit cross legged for too long) when she's at the bottom of the hole. Hope this helps. Thank you for taking time out to reply.

Does it stay numb after the first squat, or does it just feel numb at the very bottom and feel normal at the top?

It feels numb on every repetition only at the bottom (just past parallel) and feels normal above that. The numbness at the bottom feels worse if a more horizontal back angle were to be used.

Numbness is bad. However, the fact that it only happens at the bottom of the squat, it can be palpated, and that she maintains muscular control makes me think this is not really numbness, but some kind of residual discomfort associated with the initial inflammation. Then again, it could be Pelvic Ebola Virus Disease (PEVD). Who knows? Let's see a video of her squat these days shot from the rear oblique.

Will try to get a video up soon. Thanks Tom.

starting strength coach development program
    Where specifically does she feel the numbness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast