starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight / Muscle Standards

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5 years is a long time for people who got into barbell training for the purpose of changing body composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    How many people in here have been barbell training for > 5 years (actually training), are under 50, and are unhappy with their body composition?
    Love this, I know almost no one who has stuck with training of any kind for even 5 months. I'm 48, and getting close to 2 years of training with (sorry Jordan) zero attention to diet and still pretty happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    5 years is a long time for people who got into barbell training for the purpose of changing body composition.
    Is there a more efficient way? You also missed the point, methinks.

Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    got another year to go, I'll let you know.

not particularly unhappy, but not super happy either.
    You've been training for 4 years so far? If so, that's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You've been training for 4 years so far? If so, that's impressive!
    I just broke the 2-year mark on actual training. I have no complaints about my body composition, except that I'd like to be a thick, solid 185-er at 5'7 instead of a pretty solid 161 pounder. At 148, I squatted 400, pressed 172.5, benched 248, and pulled 500, all in legit competition (USAPL/Iron Fest). Lots of progress left to be made, but from my perspective, Jordan's implication that you can make your body composition satisfactory within 5 years of actual training is humongously generous.

I have been training for about 6 years, am 30 and fairly dissatisfied with my body composition. Height 5'7", BW 207, Recent lifts are 405x5 squat, 465x5 deadlift, 200x5 press, 285x5 bench, but BF probably > 20%. Is that uncommon?

Will a natural trainee take 5 years to reach the majority of their potential though?

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    ~ December 2010 to today.

I wish my lifts were as impressive as my consistency lol
    Cool man! I started lifting pretty "seriously" (general term) sometime in 2005, so I'm at about 10 years more or less. I would say I'm above average for 10 years- but not necessarily "outlier" worthy.

Remember, most people train and eat like boners (or get hurt) for at least a couple years in there. I only had 2 years of really stupid things, e.g. CrossFit and 5/3/1.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I have been training for about 6 years, am 30 and fairly dissatisfied with my body composition. Height 5'7", BW 207, Recent lifts are 405x5 squat, 465x5 deadlift, 200x5 press, 285x5 bench, but BF probably > 20%. Is that uncommon?
    The lifts look good and I bet with a few diet tweaks you'd be pretty stoked with your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Will a natural trainee take 5 years to reach the majority of their potential though?
    Not even close.

starting strength coach development program
    Man Eric, I just checked out your log and a couple squat vids. If that's you at 5'7" 200lbs you could carry it a hell of a lot worse. Nice lifts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast