starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uneven Leg Length - Squats

Default Uneven Leg Length - Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As a bit of background I've constantly been bothered this past 2-3 years with aches in my knees. I did some videos from behind when squatting and it looked like my movement on the way down was not even. In other words my right side always moved down first then my left followed - if that makes sense.

Fast forward on a while and as the title depicts I've been diagnosed as having one leg shorter than the other. My right leg is around 10/12mm shorter than the other. What prompted my visit to the foot clinic was pain in my lower back. I haven't lifted in around 6 months because of this problem.

The doctor has me wearing a heel lift of around 5mm and then switching to a 10mm one for a few weeks. He then says that I will be moving on to custom insoles.

I guess my question is have you ever came across anyone with a leg discrepancy and what would you suggest as a matter of course for my lifting in the future. That is, should I wear the insoles when I am lifting and will I have to make any changes to my foot position or any other part of the move to compensate?

Thanks in advance.

We deal with at least one of these every seminar. They are common. My question for your doctor is, why gradually adjust the LLD? If you have a 10mm discrepancy, just get a 10mm shim on the bottom of your weightlifting shoes. Now. Today.

I too have LLD. I wear a lift in every shoe I own. They are not custom, but called clearly adjustable heel lift, and I've used them for years. Correction to proper height gradually seems like a waste of time, not sure either why. You may be a little sore while you adjust but it happens pretty quick.

However, I shim the entire foot and not just the heal when doing any lifting. IIRC, Rip recommends shimming the whole foot also.

Obviously the whole foot must be shimmed, or the the ankle angles are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Obviously the whole foot must be shimmed, or the the ankle angles are different.
    Agreed, obvious.

Just replying to this:

Quote Originally Posted by WKZ12 View Post
    That is, should I wear the insoles when I am lifting and will I have to make any changes to my foot position or any other part of the move to compensate?

13mm here.
    I wear it all the time.(some dont think thats necessary. doesnt remotely work for me) Especially when lifting. Not just Squats.
    a full compensation that is. Yes it sucks.
    The bright side will be that you will love the evenness of the hip.
    For me, also a couple of Joints (left knee and shoulder especially) immediately felt better after I got the shim and moved a bit. Also I never knew what it was like to brace abs really hard before.

Please Rip, tell your thoughts on this: (I am aware that it is not your profession, but I value your opinion nevertheless)
    Im thinking about getting my left femur shortened.
    Because thats where about 80% of my LLD lies . Also taking off the shoe really sucks (beach, shower, being a guest at a barefoot place, lot more).
    Soft tissue seems to adapt well to that, since thats whats regularly done for folk with really big LLDs. Normally bone grows together strong too.
    My doc is against it (only) because of the usual remaining risk.
    Thanks for all your work.

Also I want to add a warning to everybody with LLDs. A Chiropractor i visited to assure myself it wasnt some mysterious nonanatomical LLD wanted me to pay him to ´adjust´ me over the course of 6 visits in 3 weeks plus followups. I couldnt believe the reasoning the guy pulled. These scams are all over the place.

+ to the OP
    You´re still talking insoles. probably wont work. too thick. i know - sorry. Also get the exact difference narrowed down over time. It will benefit you even more.

I forgot to add some data:

30years old
    6´1
    85kg
    male
    mid/late novice, due to stupid management of injuries and the LLD in the past. Confident to go Intermediate soon and probably stay there. Lifting mainly for health reasons. Wont ever compete unless for fun/learning/supporting the Sport.
    Symptoms are standard for LLDs although a bit more severe than average due to ignoring the LLD for much to long.

sorry for highjacking.
    didn´t want to open yet another thread on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by thorrrsten View Post
    Because thats where about 80% of my LLD lies . Also taking off the shoe really sucks (beach, shower, being a guest at a barefoot place, lot more).
    Soft tissue seems to adapt well to that, since thats whats regularly done for folk with really big LLDs. Normally bone grows together strong too.
    If I had a femoral LLD, I'd probably get it corrected. Those are very difficult to shim effectively, since the shim creates a knee position asymmetry that a tibial LLD shim corrects. I didn't know this was a surgical option, but if it is, excellent.

Yes. Although the more severe cases get a lengthening. An other procedure is to slow down growth of the longer bone for children by manipulating the growth plates. Its the least invasive way.

I'll try to get it done till next summer and report back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by thorrrsten View Post
    13mm here.
    I wear it all the time.(some dont think thats necessary. doesnt remotely work for me) Especially when lifting. Not just Squats.
    a full compensation that is. Yes it sucks.
    The bright side will be that you will love the evenness of the hip.
    For me, also a couple of Joints (left knee and shoulder especially) immediately felt better after I got the shim and moved a bit. Also I never knew what it was like to brace abs really hard before.

Please Rip, tell your thoughts on this: (I am aware that it is not your profession, but I value your opinion nevertheless)
    Thanks for all your work.

Also I want to add a warning to everybody with LLDs. A Chiropractor i visited to assure myself it wasnt some mysterious nonanatomical LLD wanted me to pay him to ´adjust´ me over the course of 6 visits in 3 weeks plus followups. I couldnt believe the reasoning the guy pulled. These scams are all over the place.

+ to the OP
    You´re still talking insoles. probably wont work. too thick. i know - sorry. Also get the exact difference narrowed down over time. It will benefit you even more.
    This is very interesting. Ive been to 2 chiro's in the past and I told them to both look to see if I had a LLD. (Im positive I have a LLD). Both of them said my SI joint on my left leg was out of place and insisted on just getting re-adjusted every month. Do you guys know where I can go to a doctor that will tell me straight up I have a LLD and no bullshit?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast