starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dislocated knee rehab II.

Default Dislocated knee rehab II.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

this is a follow up to the following thread where Tom took excellent care of my problems. Unfortunately it is know closed.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=52556

The Situation right now is as follows: I dont feel any pain in my daily life or while working out.
    Only a few situations (like bending the knee to the inner side) cause a little bit of pain in the inner side of the knee.

I've worked my way back to some heaviesh weights again and i will go back to LP the next workout.

I have some more questions i like to get of my chest, hence the new thread.

1. Tom adviced me to take Cleans of the menu for quite a bit. How long should i keep them off? Would i be a good idea to not reintroduce them anytime soon (i have quite a history with knee injuries. The dislocation wasnt the first knee issue i had).
    Don't get me wrong. I do like them even though im not particulary good at them. I just don't want to risk my health more than necessary.

2. Somtimes when i squat i do have a sharp ache (pain isnt quite the right word for it, i dont know a better one yet..) which runs underneath my kneecap from top to bottom. What could that be? It is just while doing the movement. I didn't notice that before i had the dislocation, could it just be some aftermath of it?

3. Last Bench workout a studpid ass idiot helped me with my last rep without being asked to (would have been the first time i got that weight 5x3). I'm pretty sure i would have gotten that rep without his help even though it was a heavy effort. Do you think i should increase the weight anyway next bench session?

Thanks for your time.

Greetings
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post
    1. Tom adviced me to take Cleans of the menu for quite a bit. How long should i keep them off? Would i be a good idea to not reintroduce them anytime soon (i have quite a history with knee injuries. The dislocation wasnt the first knee issue i had).
    Don't get me wrong. I do like them even though im not particulary good at them. I just don't want to risk my health more than necessary.
    I would not be in a rush to add them back yet. You could probably get away with trying them out, but let this thing settle down before you start jumping on it.

2. Somtimes when i squat i do have a sharp ache (pain isnt quite the right word for it, i dont know a better one yet..) which runs underneath my kneecap from top to bottom. What could that be? It is just while doing the movement. I didn't notice that before i had the dislocation, could it just be some aftermath of it?
    There is no way for me to know the answer to this, but I think your explanation sounds reasonable. You suffered a fairly nasty knee injury. It will probably hurt in strange ways for a while.

3. Last Bench workout a studpid ass idiot helped me with my last rep without being asked to (would have been the first time i got that weight 5x3). I'm pretty sure i would have gotten that rep without his help even though it was a heavy effort. Do you think i should increase the weight anyway next bench session?
    Yeah. I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I would not be in a rush to add them back yet. You could probably get away with trying them out, but let this thing settle down before you start jumping on it.

There is no way for me to know the answer to this, but I think your explanation sounds reasonable. You suffered a fairly nasty knee injury. It will probably hurt in strange ways for a while.

Yeah. I would.

Thanks. I'm gonna take a closer look at the symptoms when they reoccur.

I indeed added weight to the bar on bench last session which led to maybe the worst bench session ever, i didnt realise that the big plate on one side was damaged (thus lighter than the other side). After switching the big plates to smaller (but undamaged) plates for equal loading i missloaded the bar completely (10kg to much) and almost beheaded myself... i should have called it a day after that but i did two more sets. Not really good though.. I only managed to get 3/3/2. What do you think i should do? Drop back from 82.5kg to 80kg (the weight which i got the help). Try 82.5kg again or drop back to 81? (I did buy two 0.5kg plates to make one 1kg jump possible, and a 1.5kg jump after that).

Greetings

I cannot really figure out what you did or what the weight was on the bar. However, loading the bar correctly is a good idea. Find a weight that you can do for three sets of five and go up in 1kg jumps.

I cannot really figure out what you did or what the weight was on the bar. However, loading the bar correctly is a good idea. Find a weight that you can do for three sets of five and go up in 1kg jumps.
    I increased from 80kg to 82.5kg.
    On the first set it felt like the left side was somewhat lighter than the right side. It was distracting enough to only get 3 reps.I took a look at the plates and found that one of the bigh plates on the left side was a bit damaged, thus some weight difference.
    Then i loaded to 92.5kg by mistake and almost beheaded myself. At least i got a good negative...
    I tried two more sets with 82.5kg and got 3 and 2 reps, so overall 3 / 0.5 / 3 / 2.

The smallest plates in the gym are 1.25kg (2.5kg jumps). However i bought two 0.5kg plates myself. So i can make one jump with 1kg, but the jump after has to be 1.5kg.

Good microplates are hard to come by here in Germany. At least for a reasonable price. I already contacted the forum member who sells the awesome lasercut microplates here on the forum, but didnt get any answer yet.

Bench 82.5 and get your 3x5. Find a way to go up by less than 2.5 kg.

Bench 82.5 and get your 3x5. Find a way to go up by less than 2.5 kg.
    Thanks Tom, I'm gonna try if the uneven jumps (1kg / 1,5kg) work for me. Thats the only possibility i have at the moment.

Hi Tom,

last Friday i noticed a pretty annoying feeling in my left knee (not the one i dislocated) while doing the last few reps of my squat workout. I sucked it up and finished the last 2 reps of my workout and didnt think about it anymore.
    Today however, i noticed the exact same pain again while doing the warmup sets, so i just finished the warmups and then moved on to the next exercises.

It feels like something is cracking and then there is some pain which radiates through the entire knee.The origin seems to be the outer tendon at the back of my kneecap.
    It is not too bad but it's annoying and it keeps me from finishing the squat workouts.

Do you have an idea what that could be and what i can do about it?

And overall i noticed that i'm pretty beat up at the end of the week since i got back to some heavier weights. Also it seems like i can't recover very well and i'm stalling pretty early (especially at bench and press).

I do have some things going on in my life which may be detremental to the novice LP (besides from not being 18 anymore):
    -Poor sleep due to a newborn at home.
    -Need to lose some weight (i'm in the mid 20s range, just getting stronger and let the body compisition take care of itself didn't work that well for me)
    -lowish test levels (lower third of the normal range, so no TRT)

Do you think it may be a good idea to switch to intermediate programming early?
    Or do you have other suggestions what i should do?

Do you have an idea what that could be and what i can do about it?
    Yes, you suffered a serious knee injury and it is going to hurt for a long time. It is possible your knee will always feel a little different and you may need to be careful with it from time to time. If shit starts hurting badly, you already know what you need to do. You should not be surprised at all when your knee hurts. It is going to hurt. It is up to you to figure out why, how bad it is, and how to train around it. Remember, I am some asshole on the Internet in California. There is only so much I can do.

Do you think it may be a good idea to switch to intermediate programming early?
    Possibly, although intermediate training is generally harder and can take more time. What are you lifting right now? What does your program look like? What kinds of jumps are you taking on your lifts?

Having a kid makes things difficult. Not only do you get no sleep, it is correlated with crashing testosterone levels in males. Neat. Remind me to have lots of children. Realize that you will probably need to scale back your expectations during this time until you are able to get more rest.

Or do you have other suggestions what i should do?
    Depending upon what your program looks like now, I would bet we would have you squat less and make less frequent and less aggressive jumps. We'll see what you come back with.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, you suffered a serious knee injury and it is going to hurt for a long time. It is possible your knee will always feel a little different and you may need to be careful with it from time to time. If shit starts hurting badly, you already know what you need to do. You should not be surprised at all when your knee hurts. It is going to hurt.
    This.

I'm not a doctor or a coach, but I've had the same injury. Actually, I did it 4 times before having it surgically repaired and once more after that. I haven't seen any images of your knee, but you'll probably be aware of some occasional pain or 'twinginess' in the knee from now on. The way it was explained to me is that the underside of your kneecap is incredibly smooth. Once you forcibly pull the patella out of its track, that smooth surface gets roughed up and it stays that way (I've seen this part in images of my own knee).

The good news is that, speaking from my own experience, you can still train and participate in athletics (or life activities in general) after the knee heals up. As my handle indicates, I play a contact sport and haven't re-injured the knee for quite some time. I use a cloth brace when playing and I wear wraps when I train the squat. YMMV especially since the first time I had this injury I was 14 years old and young people heal like gangbusters.

It's good that you're on this forum and taking advice from folks like Tom. Learning how to properly perform the LBBS and getting stronger has actually helped my knee feel better, reducing how often I have the above mentioned twinginess. My surgeon (a one-time team doctor for an NFL franchise) told me not to squat to depth and said that 1/2 squats would do the same thing and "strengthen my VMO." The guy was a good surgeon, but he didn't know a damn thing about strength training.

Best of luck moving forward Christian.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast