starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I don't want to compete, I just want to be strong.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't know what this guy is trying to say. It's not clear why we should care, though. He keeps telling us, "it's just what I do, I don't say anyone else should do it." Well, bully for him. Who cares?

Shall we leave it there?

I just have a conceptual problem with the whole thing: Why would a guy who obviously doesn't care about us caring about what he does publish a blog about what he does?

It's just a textual selfie, Mark.

"Look at meeeeeee!"

It's like the declarative version of JAQing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I just have a conceptual problem with the whole thing: Why would a guy who obviously doesn't care about us caring about what he does publish a blog about what he does?
    Like I said, it's gets me writing. Having it out in the open forces me to be accountable to an audience in terms of keeping up my once a week schedule, and enough people have told me they enjoy my writing that I keep doing it.

Some folks have used my ideas and got the results they wanted, which is great, and I am happy my shared experiences benefited them. If that's not the case, that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalStrength View Post
    I do not see how that could be possible. I have said multiple times that I deadlift.
    So, if we're generous and call your touch and go hitching version of the lift a "deadlift" ... why do you deadlift, when you "do not believe the deadlift to be a strength builder"?

Is it purely technique practice?

It seems that you and I disagree.
    Disagreements wouldn't be of any value unless they are reasoned out.

On the topic of my join date, it's no coincidence. I stated this quite clearly in my very first post. This thread appeared as a traffic source for my blog, so I came here to see what the discussion was. I saw some folks misunderstanding the intent of my post, thinking it was some sort of declaration of war against how they trained, and I joined so I could clarify.
    I have missed that part of discussion. I apologize.

This is not making any sense.

You said that the deadlift does not build strength and that you have to do it (i guess because others do it to measure strength).
    The same was said about the benchpress etc.

Then you say of course you deadlift( you have to) now implying that it does build strength and better than your mats, dips and whatnot partial roms. Of course they do.

Make up your mind. You just wrote about those partial rom things because you vary your program with them.

To build up your blog (get attention) you were saying that they were better than the real movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Disagreements wouldn't be of any value unless they are reasoned out.

I have missed that part of discussion. I apologize.
    No worries. Like I said, it looks like a lot of misunderstandings for the most part.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisgolfboll View Post
    This is not making any sense.

You said that the deadlift does not build strength and that you have to do it (i guess because others do it to measure strength).
    The same was said about the benchpress etc.

Then you say of course you deadlift( you have to) now implying that it does build strength and better than your mats, dips and whatnot partial roms. Of course they do.

Make up your mind. You just wrote about those partial rom things because you vary your program with them.

To build up your blog (get attention) you were saying that they were better than the real movements.
    I do not understand how you are able to infer that, because I deadlift, I feel that they are superior to mat pulls, but I apologize if that is the impression I created with my words. I deadlift because I compete in sports that require me to deadlift. I do one set every 2 months, and of course deadlift whenever a competition requires. The rest of the time, its ROM progression mat pulls.

Folks, it seems for the most part i have clarified as much as I can and the conversation is turning more to how I personally train. Mark has been exceptionally patient with my presence on his forum and I thank him for that, but to keep this from becoming any more of a trainwreck, just send me a private message. I will gladly explain my methods, but again, I am not looking for converts. If you disagree with me, I will not fight for you to see things my way.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567