starting strength gym

Thread: Asymmetric squats, pelvic tilts, and short legs.

Default Asymmetric squats, pelvic tilts, and short legs.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I have had an on-again off-again struggle to deal with some squat asymmetry, as noted previously here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=48277&page=1

Simma suggested I get my leg lengths checked, which I did. The chiro said that the legs were of the same anatomical length, but that

(a) there was SI impingement on my left side; that
    (b) my right pelvic bone was tilted to the posterior by a few mm; and that
    (c) I had a mild scoliotic-like curve in my lumbar spine.

He made an adjustment to align the pelvic bones again and remove the SI impingement and sent me on my way. He did *not* however, remeasure the legs from ASIS to ankle post-adjustment.

I am back to squatting now after a long break (up to 250), and I am still doing the same thing. From video of one squat set at 240 (e.g., here), it looks as though (a) my left femur is less abducted than my right and (b) that my left side of my body goes deeper in the hole than my right side. This leads to coming up out of the hole faster on my right than on my left. I have tried pushing knees out further, focusing on the left side in particular, but nothing seems to help the weird bottom position. I note that this weird femoral abduction / hip position asymmetry at the bottom appears to be roughly independent of weight. At lighter weights, I can come up fairly evenly with the bar, but I still have that weird bottom position.

SO, I guess my question is based on my ignorance of the anatomical structure of the hip. Since I am still squatting asymmetrically, and since my left femur seems to be less abducted on warmup sets, it seems that there's a real leg length difference. Since my right pelvic bone was tilted, and since the ASIS position along the vertical axis was altered by this tilt (presumably), could I still have an appreciable leg length difference despite the chiro's measurement?

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for any help.
    Robert

Your video is asking me for a password.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your video is asking me for a password.
    Shit, sorry. Here's a link that works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3I...haring#t=0m30s

My LLD wasnt recognised by a lot of doctors. Then 3 diagnosed 5mm. Until finally it was 13mm.

Read about experience my on chiropractors here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=53462
    (I already knew for sure it was an anatomical LLD)

also check what happens when you cover your dominant (the one that is easier to focus on something) eye. If it has something to do with it, you will notice instantly.

Your squat is troubled from many perspectives. While you do have the tendency to collapse off to one side, I am not convinced this is the direct result of an asymmetry yet, although it is possible. Your stance is far too narrow and you don't do a good job of staying tight. The weight is also probably too heavy for you at this juncture. I need a better video, too. Check the sticky for some help on that front.

Thanks for the comments and time, Tom; I really appreciate it.

This AM I knocked the weight down to 215, widened my stance considerably, and tried to shove my knees out as hard as possible for tightness. Here is a video of set 3/3 from ~ rear right 45 degrees. Unfortunately, I realized after I took it that the post of the rack blocks the view of most of my lumbar spine, but you can see my feet / head / right knee / bar path. If that's a deal breaker for video usefulness, I'll get a better video next time I'm back at the gym.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3I...Q/view#t=0m35s

You are going too deep, staying too vertical, and not maintaining tightness. This squat is a hip driven movement. To pull that off, you need to lean over more and drive your hips up the whole way. Squeeze like a mother fucker the whole time. Tighten down around your held breath and don't let go at the bottom of the squat, or on the ascent. The tighter you stay on the way up, the less you will experience that pause immediately after the bounce.

Just backing what Tom is saying, speaking as a grade 6 mutant with leg length discepancy, scoliosis, etc. There are asymmetries there, but basic form issues are 90% of it right now.

Thanks for your time, Tom. I'll try to implement this.

starting strength coach development program
    I am helping a buddy out and have been teaching him how to squat. This is almost exactly how he squats when I don't stand there and yell "stay tight, knees out hard" at him during sets. Listen to Tom.