starting strength gym

Thread: Lower Back Pain

Exclamation Lower Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've had this pain for quite a while now. I showed it to a doctor and he said I need to just rest it and it'll be okay. Didn't work.

When I started deadlifting, I had a rounded back and that is when the pain started. Once I realized this, I worked with low weight to correct my form and then went from there. Now the pain doesn't occur when I lift. The back pain only happens when I do something like stand up or try to put my socks on. The pain is exclusive to my lower right back. I'm not sure when it hasn't healed after me resting and correcting my form. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you for taking out the time to read this!

That's really tough to diagnose since even your doc couldn't assist. Are you doing these things in awkward positions that disagree with your back? Any twisting or over extending kinds of motions? If so, take note of fixing those things. Also, sometimes back pain is the symptom of something else being askew - like having really tight hip flexors (especially if you have a desk job).

I can't really advise intelligently any further. A good massage is always nice if you have a trusted massage therapist in your area. If it persists, maybe consider a second opinion.

This sounds a LOT like a QL strain. I've done it very recently myself and spent the last 7 weeks or so getting back to where I was pre-injury. Resting does NOT make it better. Mac Ward was helpful in his advice there:

1. Get a lax ball and/or softball and massage the glute and QL areas. Softball size works better I've found. 70sbig.com also did a video on self-massage of the QL area. Watch that video.
    2. Do some planks every day. 3 sets or so of 30 seconds, then work up to doing longer periods of time. If you can do side planks without it hurting, do those too.
    3. Get back to squatting with good form immediately. Start with the bar. Do 3 sets of 10 or so, 3-4 days a week moving up to 95, 135, 155lbs and then scale it on up accordingly based on feel. Keep deadlifting and scaling the weight back up carefully and sensibly. You'll know when you can take bigger jumps and when to start slowing down the progress and getting back into the 3x5 progression. Don't be stupid about it.
    4. Get to a chiropractor that does some active release therapy.
    5. Ice and take a shitload of NSAIDs for 5 days or so... the ibeuprofen protocol they have listed on this sight many times works well to get the inflammation down.