starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Histamine reaction under the bar: Is this normal?

Default Histamine reaction under the bar: Is this normal?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi...

I've been squatting now for ~ 2.5 years (I started later in life). Since turning 40, I've noticed a trend that each time I get under the squat bar, i have a massive welt form even after the first set. Some days it's bearable and I can get the 3x5 in, other days it's so bad (like tonight) I can't continue. I've got a reasonably tight grip (having read SS a few times). Here's a picture shortly after the set was done: 20141120_205506.jpg

This is a lighter work set at 225x5, I noticed a strong burning sensation. See the attached picture. The bar itself is a rogue bruiser, with no center knurl even. I'm wondering if taking an anti-histamine like benadryl or other OTC medicine pre-workout might decrease the swelling? I know I can try, but I wasn't sure if this was a unique case or something you've seen before.

Thanks...

I have developed the same reaction to the bar over the past 2 years. I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't seem fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have developed the same reaction to the bar over the past 2 years. I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't seem fatal.
    In response to the bar, or to locally applied compressive forces generally?

Seems unlikely that one would be having a reaction to the metal of the bar through a shirt, particularly a bar without center knurl.

Maybe a long shot, but didn't something change about your T-shirt? A new one, new washing powder, softener...I'd say the weight can bury the textile deeper in your skin and cause more irritation than when you're "just wearing" the clothes.

Potentially pressure induced urticaria. If it is it's IgE mediated and therefore involves histamine release. If you try antihistamines before squatting make sure they're non sedating.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...overview#a0104

It's that damned GMO steel, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    In response to the bar, or to locally applied compressive forces generally?

Seems unlikely that one would be having a reaction to the metal of the bar through a shirt, particularly a bar without center knurl.
    Just the bar. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobr View Post
    Maybe a long shot, but didn't something change about your T-shirt? A new one, new washing powder, softener...I'd say the weight can bury the textile deeper in your skin and cause more irritation than when you're "just wearing" the clothes.
    It may be that, but I doubt it. We don't use much soap, and the rinse cycle is doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Is it something in the fabric itself? I used to get a very similar inflammation at pressure points with clothing. Narrowed it down to fabric softener dryer sheets. Really. Eliminated dryer sheets/liquid fabric softener and all of those reactions went away. Benadryl helped me to a degree, but the sedative effects might not be optimum for lifting.
    Fabric is plenty soft without any help from a dryer sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Potentially pressure induced urticaria. If it is it's IgE mediated and therefore involves histamine release. If you try antihistamines before squatting make sure they're non sedating.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...overview#a0104
    It's definitely pressure-induced urticaria. The question is, why now?

I'm not sure anyone knows a convincing answer to that.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/p...urticaria.html

The cause of pressure urticaria is unclear but it is likely to be an autoimmune disease. Cells called mast cells play an important part in the process. Mast cells are tissue cells that contain chemicals, including histamine, which provoke wealing.
    Rip Rip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just the bar. Weird.

It may be that, but I doubt it. We don't use much soap, and the rinse cycle is doubled.

Fabric is plenty soft without any help from a dryer sheet.

Bizarre.

I love this board. I learn as much medicine as I do weight training. I wonder if slathering the hell out of the area with topical Benadryl (diphenhydramine) an hour before lifting would help minimize the effect? And you can build up a tolerance to the sedating effects of Benadryl with regular use, or at least I have. I've lifted with it every winter to help control my cold induced bronchospasms. Combining an H2 blocker like Pepcid with Benadryl is useful in other severe urticaria conditions. Maybe it'd help with this, too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast