starting strength gym

Thread: Feeling faint after squats

Default Feeling faint after squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yesterday I did my squats with 190 lbs (I started with just the bar 6 weeks ago, don't judge). I've been doing my 5 lb increments just fine since starting, but yesterday I started feeling faint after each of my work sets.

I read up on the archives on syncope and found some of Rip's posts mentioning that if you're getting faint and the bar is not on your neck (clean, press), you're not breathing right. I admit, I wasn't paying much attention to how much I was breathing between reps I was trying to focus in staying as tight as I could while ignoring the voice in my head screaming "holy frijoles, this is heavy!".

Could I have been squeezing my trunk too much?

I don't have a belt, is this a sign I need one?

Hi Ravl,

No judgement on the weight. Your on the LP planning to get stronger - that's a great start.

Feeling really spent after near limit squats is normal. Feeling faint, as in being close to passing out - that's another story. As you noted, the latter is associated with cleans and presses racked incorrectly, but not usually with squats.

Were you breathing at the top? That's where you're allowed to take a few breaths before bracing for another rep. The valsalva only lasts a few seconds at a time (even if you're grinding out a final rep) and the top is where you get to take new air. Is that what you were doing?

I don't think you can over-squeeze your abs, nor do I think that a belt would assist with this problem (which I wager right now is breath related, but no way to know for sure). A belt is a great tool to acquire though.

After reading some more on the forums about the valsalva, I realized I was holding the valsalva in my head. Also I was not breathing enough between reps, I was just releasing the air, getting another gulp and dropping down for the next rep.
    Thank you for the advice!

I'd also add something as simple as fluids, too. Drink water until you pee (nearly) clear for workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by ravl View Post
    After reading some more on the forums about the valsalva, I realized I was holding the valsalva in my head. Also I was not breathing enough between reps, I was just releasing the air, getting another gulp and dropping down for the next rep.
    Thank you for the advice!
    How does one hold a valsalva in their head?

I sometimes gets faint after squatting but never after anything else. I never figured out why.

starting strength coach development program
    The best way to describe it for me is that if I had opened my mouth, all air would have escaped. Lots of pressure on my sinuses.
    I have been practicing holding the valsalva with my mouth open (slightly).