starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check - First Time Using Belt

Default Squat Check - First Time Using Belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first work set (235 lbs) using my new Best Belt. I want to see if my form is still okay now that I've changed things up with the belt.

It felt difficult to bend forward as the belt hit my upper thighs. I also felt I wasn't able to hit depth but looking at the video it looks like it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Thanks in advance.

Your knees could come forward just a little bit more, as you are squatting with nearly vertical shins. Set up TUBOW for a few sessions, and notice the difference.

Belt is fine. Clearly makes you look stronger, fitter, leaner, more muscular, and generally more dominating.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I used TUBOW a few weeks ago because my knees were traveling too far forward. I must have had the TUBOW too close to my toes. I'll try to back up a little bit.

Does my hip drive look okay? My two biggest issues have been lack of hip drive due to lifting my chest first/too soon and my knee position.

Here are my 2nd and 3rd sets from today. I used TUBOW during my warmup sets to work on the knee position. If you only watch one I'd prefer you watch the third as it felt like the worst to me, form wise.

2nd:

3rd:

Try not to pull you knees back in the ascent, rather, shove them out. Imagine keeping them against the TUBOW through the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the ascent. They should remain in contact with TUBOW on the way up until the point that they touched TUBOW on the way down.

All else is fine.

What is causing my knees to go back? Do you think the bar may not be over my mid-foot so I'm compensating, or just back form that I need to fix?

You are not shoving them out and driving your hips. As your hips go back, so will you knees.

Here is today at 250 lbs. I'm having trouble with proprioceptive feedback finding the right depth with the belt on. Some of the reps are high/borderline and I think some are maybe even too low. I think I'm having trouble using enough hip drive as well. Do you agree? Any help is appreciated! I feel like I'm having to relearn with the belt now. Thanks!

None of these are too deep, and 4 might/maybe/possibly could be a little shallow, but I'm not sure about that either.

As for your hip drive, I don't know how to tell you to drive your hips, or get you to drive your hips. I only know that there are number of good cues in the squat chapter (that I'm sure you read), and after that, it's up to you.

There is nothing wrong with this set, my advice would be to add 5lbs and do it again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    None of these are too deep, and 4 might/maybe/possibly could be a little shallow, but I'm not sure about that either.

As for your hip drive, I don't know how to tell you to drive your hips, or get you to drive your hips. I only know that there are number of good cues in the squat chapter (that I'm sure you read), and after that, it's up to you.

There is nothing wrong with this set, my advice would be to add 5lbs and do it again.
    Thanks for the help. I had to switch to advanced novice for my squat because my sleep schedule sucks due to working nights and was spinning my wheels and wasting time with missed reps. I put up 255x5x3 today and it felt great having the rest day on Friday.

Here is a snapshot of my depth. Can you confirm, or correct me, if I'm checking my depth correctly in this screenshot? Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast