starting strength gym

Thread: Missed reps on deadlift - rest then try to complete reps?

Default Missed reps on deadlift - rest then try to complete reps?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello there,
    Tonight I missed reps on my deadlift for the first time.. 285x3. Last time I did deadlifts I got 275x5.
    My question is this - in this situation, would it be okay to take a few minutes and try to get my last 2 reps? Or should I just leave it at 3 and call it a day?
    Thanks.

You can go get those last two if you think it's there. I'd also drop back to 280 next workout and then go back to 285. Probably time for 5 lb jumps now

interesting to me that you suggest 5 lb jumps after a first fail. maybe it was just an off day? shouldnt he try 285 again next time?

Pure bro-science incoming:

When I leave out my failed reps, my body starts to bargain with my brain, and I develop a mental barrier (a trained neuromuscular inhibitory response, brah) at that weight. Gotta nip that shit in the bud.

Instead, I rest a few minutes, and then give myself just one more set to finish the remaining volume. Just one. I call it a "redemption set."

Why? It trains me to know that I'm going to have to hit those reps one way or another, so it'd be best to get them all done in the least amount of sets possible. Plus, it usually preserves the total volume of the workout, which is good from an "I accomplished what I set out to do" perspective. And if not, well, it was probably too heavy.

So, if I were benching and got 200x(5,5,4), I'd rest a minute or two and hit that last rep. Next workout, I'd go for 200x5x3 again. If I got 200x(5,4) and 195x3, I'd rest and try for 195x3, and if I only got one or two, I'd leave it at that. I'd deload next time.

Of course, it's better not to fail a programmed weight at all, but we can't all be Ed Coan. The next best thing is to have a system in place, and this one works pretty well by helping you evaluate the extent of your, uh, suckitude. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    interesting to me that you suggest 5 lb jumps after a first fail. maybe it was just an off day? shouldnt he try 285 again next time?
    There are no hard and fast rules for this sort of thing. I'd have to be there to be 100% sure of the recommendation. I do know, however, that conservative progression wins out almost every time

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcnulty View Post
    Pure bro-science incoming:

When I leave out my failed reps, my body starts to bargain with my brain, and I develop a mental barrier (a trained neuromuscular inhibitory response, brah) at that weight. Gotta nip that shit in the bud.

Instead, I rest a few minutes, and then give myself just one more set to finish the remaining volume. Just one. I call it a "redemption set."

Why? It trains me to know that I'm going to have to hit those reps one way or another, so it'd be best to get them all done in the least amount of sets possible. Plus, it usually preserves the total volume of the workout, which is good from an "I accomplished what I set out to do" perspective. And if not, well, it was probably too heavy.

So, if I were benching and got 200x(5,5,4), I'd rest a minute or two and hit that last rep. Next workout, I'd go for 200x5x3 again. If I got 200x(5,4) and 195x3, I'd rest and try for 195x3, and if I only got one or two, I'd leave it at that. I'd deload next time.

Of course, it's better not to fail a programmed weight at all, but we can't all be Ed Coan. The next best thing is to have a system in place, and this one works pretty well by helping you evaluate the extent of your, uh, suckitude. Hope that helps.
    I'm not opposed to Bro-Science in some contexts. I'm not entirely opposed to your strategy depending on the situation and individual.