starting strength gym

Thread: power clean form check

Question power clean form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing these for a few weeks now. I've messed around before but this is the longest period of time I've spent trying to learn the movement. I hope it's not too presumptuous to say thank you in advance. I look forward to your comments : )

The little hop you do before the pull is not helping you. It throws you out of position and pushes the bar forward, which you then have to correct on the way up. You have a hint of an early arm bend, but that's not too bad. Get tight before the clean. You will still be able to move quickly and be explosive above the knee if you set yourself properly and drag the bar up the legs. Try it. Also, it would be good to see a front oblique angle for a set of three. I cannot really see how you are racking the bar.

I donno where that hop came from. Overzealous in my counter-movement and my heels leave the ground. Are you saying no counter-movement at all? I see a lot of world class lifters go up-down or down-up or even rock back on their heels before the instant of separation from the platform. Below is a new video for you of my latest seance from 3/4 view. I did not make all of the adjustments you suggest but I will take them into serious consideration and at least try them out for a while when I'm back from vacation. This seance felt like a marked improvement though. I am making significantly more thigh contact. I appreciate that you're taking the time to look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    Are you saying no counter-movement at all? I see a lot of world class lifters go up-down or down-up or even rock back on their heels before the instant of separation from the platform.
    Yes. I am suggesting a static start. There are lifters that perform a dynamic start, where they drop low to the ground and break the bar from the ground as their hips rise, and some of them move very heavy weights. This is often done to try and elicit a stretch reflex. The problem with the dynamic start, which your start shares, is that the reps are different each time. The more variables you can remove from the equation, the easier it is to tweak things and observe the results. Further, the nature of the position at the start of the pull is such that it is difficult, if not impossible, to generate a stretch reflex of any significance in the dynamic start. Lastly, since we are fans of vertical bar paths around these parts, a static start allows for better positioning and efficiency in the pull.

Try the static start for a few sessions. I predict you might like it once you get used to it. The part where the clean must be violent occurs in the jump, not the pull from the floor. Off the floor, tightness and consistency combine to put you into optimal position to explode. Look further ahead to start. Also, consider a narrower stance. Your arms looks straight on these, too. Good work.

Well I think the stretch-reflex on pulls does than people make it out to be on this website. For instance there's going to be a huge difference in your standing vertical jump if you're allowed to dip versus starting from a pause at the bottom position. I don't know why it'd be much different lifting a barbell. It seems to help my deadlift. You're right about the tendency to get out of position for most people but it may not be so hard to learn the coordination. I don't have a strong opinion that I want to hoist on you though. Actually I PRed @ 254 this morning but I don't want to make this a frequent and ongoing thing however I'd like to post some more videos in a month or so. Thanks a lot, Tom.

Quick question, why not control the weight and return the bar from top, to the hang, and then to the floor? I've never understood tossing the weight. But I've never been with bumper weights.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Quick question, why not control the weight and return the bar from top, to the hang, and then to the floor? I've never understood tossing the weight. But I've never been with bumper weights.
    You can certainly catch in the hang and put it down, but with bumper plates, there is no need. They are designed to be dropped. I don't like catching the weights because it has a tendency to irritate my back. For me, bumper plates allow me to worry about cleaning the heaviest weight I can instead of catching the heaviest weight I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You can certainly catch in the hang and put it down, but with bumper plates, there is no need. They are designed to be dropped. I don't like catching the weights because it has a tendency to irritate my back. For me, bumper plates allow me to worry about cleaning the heaviest weight I can instead of catching the heaviest weight I can.
    I've never been in a gym that has had bumper weights. Only iron plates. I've talked to the gym owner and it's because he doesn't want nutcase throwing barbells and having them bounce into octogenarian.

Flexibility can make this a problem too. If you have the book, look at the bottom image in figure 6-45 on page 217. Controlling the weight is difficult when you can barely keep two fingers on the bar in the rack position.

starting strength coach development program
    I've never been in a gym that has had bumper weights. Only iron plates. I've talked to the gym owner and it's because he doesn't want nutcase throwing barbells and having them bounce into octogenarian.
    Yeah, if you have iron plates, you need to set them down more gently. However, when you watch videos of some of the old time dudes lowering their Olympic weights, they kind of drop them. You can safely drop a bar, even if it has bouncy Hi-Temp bumpers on it, provided you exercise a modicum of care.