starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deadlift stalling: getting off the floor

Default deadlift stalling: getting off the floor

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5'7". 205lbs. 39 yo male.
    LP for 3 months switched to advanced novice last week. Deloaded squats from 325 to 295. Kept DL the same since it was at 315 and want to keep it higher than squat. My problem is that since I hit 315, I've been stalling on DL. First time at 315 I couldn't get it off the floor. Waited 5 minutes, got pissed and pulled 3 reps. Next time (4 days later) I pulled 315x5 just fine. Next time I failed all lifts including squats for the first time at 320. DL I hit my last warmup at 275x2 and then failed 320 not getting it off the floor. Started adv. Novice with DL at 315x5. No problem. Now 7 days later (trying DL once a week), I fail at 320. First I couldn't get the bar off the floor. Waited a few minutes, got pissed and got 320x4. Seems to be a reoccurring theme. Now I get enough sleep, eat 250g protein a day, plenty of food, wear a belt, alternate grip, use chalk. I feel like when I pull, I'm moving the bar but it's not cooperating. Is it possible my cheap barbell is bending too much before it leaves the floor causing me to not be able to pull it? Dumb question? Repetitive inquiry? Also, I've been DLing barefoot until a couple weeks ago. (Wearing chucks, I know, I started with stronglifts though). Today I kicked the shoes off and was able to get my 4 reps barefoot. I also have a degenerative disc issue with my sacro-iliac joint which causes quite a bit of pain. Maybe I'm at my pain threshold and gaining higher than 315 will take a while. (Squat seems to dislike 320 too).
    Last edited by MPhelps; 11-23-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added more.

Perhaps a bit of a recovery brick wall due to age and the amount of weight you are doing? Maybe a switch to intermediate would help but I would certainly like to hear what others have to say. DL is my strongest lift but I am currently having trouble progressing as well. My uneducated guess is that my squats are hard enough now that it is interfering with my ability to pull after doing 3x5 with weights very close to my 5RM. I think when I switch to TM and pull on Friday after only one set of squats that my progress will improve. For now, I am ok with my DL not progressing much if I can get a couple more weeks of progress on squats before I switch to TM. My DL is still 60-70 lbs ahead of my squat.

Quote Originally Posted by MPhelps View Post
    5'7". 205lbs. 39 yo male.
    LP for 3 months switched to advanced novice last week. Deloaded squats from 325 to 295. Kept DL the same since it was at 315 and want to keep it higher than squat. My problem is that since I hit 315, I've been stalling on DL. First time at 315 I couldn't get it off the floor. Waited 5 minutes, got pissed and pulled 3 reps. Next time (4 days later) I pulled 315x5 just fine. Next time I failed all lifts including squats for the first time at 320. DL I hit my last warmup at 275x2 and then failed 320 not getting it off the floor. Started adv. Novice with DL at 315x5. No problem. Now 7 days later (trying DL once a week), I fail at 320. First I couldn't get the bar off the floor. Waited a few minutes, got pissed and got 320x4. Seems to be a reoccurring theme. Now I get enough sleep, eat 250g protein a day, plenty of food, wear a belt, alternate grip, use chalk. I feel like when I pull, I'm moving the bar but it's not cooperating. Is it possible my cheap barbell is bending too much before it leaves the floor causing me to not be able to pull it? Dumb question? Repetitive inquiry? Also, I've been DLing barefoot until a couple weeks ago. (Wearing chucks, I know, I started with stronglifts though). Today I kicked the shoes off and was able to get my 4 reps barefoot. I also have a degenerative disc issue with my sacro-iliac joint which causes quite a bit of pain. Maybe I'm at my pain threshold and gaining higher than 315 will take a while. (Squat seems to dislike 320 too).
    More bend makes it easier to lift. Let's see a video.

Unfortunately no vids in the near future. I have a long torso, long arms and short legs with uneven femurs. So basically an ape without the thick body hair. Which is good for squat, and not so great for DL. I'm pretty sure my form is good and I had no problems until I hit 315. SSBBT says at the end of DL chapter that some with injuries and older guys might not be able to get high on DL. I wonder if maybe I'm that guy.

Unfortunately no vids in the near future. I have a long torso, long arms and short legs with uneven femurs. So basically an ape without the thick body hair. Which is good for squat, and not so great for DL. I'm pretty sure my form is good and I had no problems until I hit 315. SSBBT says at the end of DL chapter that some with injuries and older guys might not be able to get high on DL. I wonder if maybe I'm that guy.
    Maybe your form is totally verkakte. Without the video, we can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Maybe your form is totally verkakte. Without the video, we can't say.
    American germanism always delights me. Where did you get that expression?

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    I assume it means "impeccable" or maybe "textbook".

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Yiddish, right?

Unfortunately no vids in the near future.
    This is really strange. Are you sending this from the 80s?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    This is really strange. Are you sending this from the 80s?
    I know. We get hoverboards next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast