starting strength gym

Thread: HLM and volume

Default HLM and volume

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Am I right in saying that HLM is similar to TM in that volume is accumulated in a week of training to create a stimulus to get stronger? The only difference being HLM spreads the volume throughout the week instead of one day dedicated to volume like in TM?

My HLM is setup like this:

Heavy:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    SLDs 3x8
    Chins

Light:
    Squat 2x5 80% of heavy
    Press 3x5

Medium:
    Squat 3x5 90% of heavy
    Incline bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Curls 3x8-12

So what I've gathered from this routine is squat and bench get volume spread through the week and press has low volume in comparison. I followed the HLM series on Andy Bakers website to construct my programming and this is what is recommended. Am I missing something here or is pressing 3x5 per week enough volume for stimulus?

If you want to treat bench and press as equal, you could alternate the emphasis each week. I.e. one week has you benching twice, and the other pressing twice. The light bench could be done for 80% of your heavy 3x5 or whatever percentage works for you.

Bench and Incline are a stimulus for your press too.

Sure, but for a big press you still need to press.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Am I right in saying that HLM is similar to TM in that volume is accumulated in a week of training to create a stimulus to get stronger? The only difference being HLM spreads the volume throughout the week instead of one day dedicated to volume like in TM?

So what I've gathered from this routine is squat and bench get volume spread through the week and press has low volume in comparison. I followed the HLM series on Andy Bakers website to construct my programming and this is what is recommended. Am I missing something here or is pressing 3x5 per week enough volume for stimulus?
    I think of TM as a specific type of HLM. The only real difference is TM has more volume on the heavy day and more intensity on the medium day. HLM might (or not) have more intensity on the heavy day, and should have more volume on the medium. HLM is less stressful overall / easier.

I think a lot of people's experience has shown that you can and do need more pressing volume sooner than you might think. I don't see a compelling reason to add more if you are making progress, but others might disagree.

To me, TM is like having two Heavy [Hard] days, since both Volume and Intensity are heavy in their respective ways. Your 5x5 weight is challenging for what you can do 5x5 and your 1x5 (or triples, doubles, etc.) on intensity day are challenging in terms of weight on the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree. I believe Andy answered a similar post. He said HLM is Heavy/Light/Medium while TM is Heavy/Light/Heavy.