starting strength gym

Thread: Squats after the back off method

Default Squats after the back off method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi - did a brief search. Didn't quite find my answer.

I switched the the 5 x 1, 5x 2 @ 95% back off method for squats when I was at 355 lb. Now I am at 385, which I failed on Monday (2 reps only). I will now switch to TM. I have 2 questions.

1) What weight should I start intensity day at? I'm thinking that 385 would be too much, maybe 375? This is the less important of my 2 questions.

2) What should I do this Friday? Considering I failed on Monday. Was thinking of just effing around and going for a 1 rm before I begin TM on Monday

Thanks

thanks. i think i'll try to get 405 once on friday and then maybe do some backoff sets. will start TM Monday at 90% of 365

365 sounds like a good idea. With only 1 top set you may think it's too easy, but give it some weeks and it won't be. Better to get a 'running start' at TM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogstar View Post
    365 sounds like a good idea. With only 1 top set you may think it's too easy, but give it some weeks and it won't be. Better to get a 'running start' at TM.
    True. Volume day is very systemically taxing, especially. When I was on TM, I remember my body feeling almost electric on nights after VD and definitely struggling to sleep. Nothing wrong with getting a running start within reason.

I would ease into the 5x5. First week I would do 4x5 then 5x5 second week at same weight.