starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying the DL

Default Modifying the DL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have short arms, and therefore proper DL setup is difficult. I don't want to do sumos, and I don't want to do rack pulls. So my question is, how much would I be cheating my training if I used 1" pads under the plates to give me just a little easier setup?

I'm confused. Why don't you want to do rack pulls, while pads under the plates are okay? Just a matter of degree?

If you are ancient, bad injury history etc i can see how someone might feel like they have to do rack pulls or whatever instead of REAL deadlifts.

But ive got short arms? Post a picture of your short arms, it better be a genetic defect or you just dont want deadlift. Your loss. You go ahead and skip the king of all movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen View Post
    I have short arms, and therefore proper DL setup is difficult. I don't want to do sumos, and I don't want to do rack pulls. So my question is, how much would I be cheating my training if I used 1" pads under the plates to give me just a little easier setup?
    I'd bet people with shorter arms than you have DLed a hell of a lot of weight.

It took me awhile to learn the best position to have a good, consistent DL setup. I'm sure if you post a video to the SS coach board they can find one that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    I'd bet people with shorter arms than you have DLed a hell of a lot of weight.

It took me awhile to learn the best position to have a good, consistent DL setup. I'm sure if you post a video to the SS coach board they can find one that works for you.
    We'll try, though this type of thing tends to be done much better and more accurately in person.

Yes, Rip, I was thinking of as small a mod as possible. I can actually get a decent set in my back even with my short arms because I'm fairly flexible in my back, but the pull comes away from my shins. If make my position so that the bar comes up the shins, then I'm basically doing a squat off the floor. I have also started doing the lift in bare feet, which has helped some. By the way, I have Starting Strength and Practical Programming both and have read both and am on my second read for SS. I want to stick as close to the program as possible, but am unsure what course to take. Should I stay with the "squat" and accept it, or do something else.

Well, when I hold the bar at lock out, it is approximately 1" below my belt line. Pictures I see of other deadlifters, the bar is below their balls.

This is a job for an individual coach who knows how to coach the pull. We have seen lots of people who thought they couldn't get in position, and who in fact could with some adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a job for an individual coach who knows how to coach the pull. We have seen lots of people who thought they couldn't get in position, and who in fact could with some adjustment.
    Is there a SS coach close to Bellingham, WA? I would gladly travel as far as Seattle and
    pay a training fee for an assessment.

starting strength coach development program
    Our man John Hanley is in Seattle. Look him up at startingstrength.org.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast