starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modifying the DL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    Ah jeez, I meant Ed Coan, not Andy Bolton. Don't know why I always get them mixed up:

My question still stands.
    You think Eddy has short arms?

Jsutt Guest

Not at all - like I said, I got them mixed up. Really dropped the ball on that one huh? What I meant was that while I understand the arguments against training full-width sumo deadlifts for general strength, wouldn't a narrow sumo stance allow a better back angle for someone with long legs and short arms than conventional while sacrificing less of the ROM and lower back involvement than full sumo? Seems like a better trade off than only pulling from mats or the rack.

Not at all - like I said, I got them mixed up. Really dropped the ball on that one huh? What I meant was that while I understand the arguments against training full-width sumo deadlifts for general strength, wouldn't a narrow sumo stance allow a better back angle for someone with long legs and short arms than conventional while sacrificing less of the ROM and lower back involvement than full sumo? Seems like a better trade off than only pulling from mats or the rack.
    I'm confused. If now you don't think Ed Coan has short arms (I agree btw, no way they look short to me) then why did you previously say he did?

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    I'm confused. If now you don't think Ed Coan has short arms (I agree btw, no way they look short to me) then why did you previously say he did?
    He didn't. Meangreen said Andy Bolton had short arms, and Jsutt confused Bolton with Coan. Even at that point Jsutt wasn't saying he agreed - just that Coan had at some point in time pulled sumo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntschli View Post
    He didn't. Meangreen said Andy Bolton had short arms, and Jsutt confused Bolton with Coan. Even at that point Jsutt wasn't saying he agreed - just that Coan had at some point in time pulled sumo.
    He certainly implied it:

Seeing he posted a pic of Ed Coan in a "a narrow sumo stance" I don't think he's just randomly talking about lifters who pulled sumo.

starting strength coach development program
    I said it looked like Andy had short arms because when he has light weight on the bar, it looks to me that his lock out is fairly high, not to his waist, but definitely above the groin area. When he's lifting heavy, of course, the bar is a bit lower.

But the point was.....that I had reconsidered my need to cheat the lift and had decided to overcome my anthropometric weirdness by other means.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123