starting strength gym

Thread: Non-standard LP. Time to move on?

Question Non-standard LP. Time to move on?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I'd like to ask for some help regarding the next step in my strength programming. Without further ado:

Training:
    Currently I'm training 4 days a week:
    1 day
    squat 3x5
    dealift 1x5

2day
    press 3x5
    chins 3xAMRAP
    bench 3x5

every 3. day is rest

4 day
    squat 3x5
    pclean 1x5

5day
    press 3x5
    chins 3xAMRAP
    bench 3x5

6. day rest

and the cycle starts again. Doing press and bp on the same day wasn't the best idea i guess.

Eating:
    I'm 180 cm, 79 KG BW @ ~14% BF

I don't measure calorie intake but I usually keep it clean and eat 5-6 times a day. Also most of the time I don't eat much in excess.

Current stats:
    Squat – 130kgx5
    Press – 57,5kgx5
    Dead – 145kgx5
    Bench – 78,5kgx5

What happened this year:
    The first half of the year was spent with the above split progressing up to 120 KGx5 squat@74KG BW. Then from July to September I had a job where I lost around 3 kg of BW and I was fatigued from the physical work and I couldn't keep up with my training (did maintenance work). I was back in the gym in the second week of September with 70 KG BW, started rebuilding my squats from 90 KG.

Details:
    I didn't try to increase the weights every workout. Instead, I increased the weights when my form was good at the fifth rep on the third set.

Also I cut deads from the split 2 weeks ago. My progress on the lift was slow, and it really took a hit on my lower back. Deads were replaced by good mornings at 3x60kgx8 .

I rushed the squat a bit right after I dropped the deads. I upped the weights to 130 and that was too much as I barely completed 3 sets for the first time (I increased 5kgs). My form broke up (lower back back got loose in the hole) and even though I don't do deads anymore my lower back was sore all week.

After squatting 130 for the 3rd consecutive squat session (form got much better) I did a reset on the squat. I felt I was pushing the limits (also couldn't increase the weights for the 3rd time). I backed off to 115, next session 120. 115 was solid, but at 120 I really started to feel the lower back again. Somehow even 120 feels pretty heavy now.

Atm. my press stalled and due to the pain in my left shoulder I don't want to overdo the bench either.

The last 3 weeks I more or less regularly rolled with a RR foam roller. (lower back only)

The Question:
    As I'm not eating enough excess cals to properly aid growth I start to feel this is the end of LP. I'm thinking about transitioning to TM to get less stress/week so I can recover better.

But this would go against what I usually read on the subject. As I didn't follow the SS LP program and my weights seem low for intermediate programming, I would ask for your advice. What would be the best course of action?

Thanks for your time and insights

Way to make an impression with your first post. Unfortunately, it's way too long. Repost your question, leaving out the fluff and including the salient points. It shouldn't be more than about 1/3 the length of your first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'm thinking about transitioning to TM to get less stress/week so I can recover better.
    I have some bad news for you if you think the Texas Method gives you a lower dose of stress per week.

As I didn't follow the SS LP program and my weights seem low for intermediate programming
    What do you think we might suggest first?

Comrade, you're a more patient man than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Comrade, you're a more patient man than I.
    I am a glutton for punishment. If it makes you feel better, I didn't read the whole thing, either.

That does make me feel better, along with the fact that this exists, and perhaps someone, somewhere will make it and eat it this weekend:

That is no joke. Certainly influenced by Epic Meal Time. Speaking of Epic Meal Time, it is hard to beat this:

I thought you need some background info to gauge the problem, sorry about that.

In a nutshell:
    I'm doing the split above.
    My lower back is sore without doing deads.
    I'm not eating in excess. My sleep is fine.
    I hit a wall at 130kg on my squat and the other lifts started to stagnate as well.
    I did a reset on the squats dropped deads and put in good morning instead.

„What do you think we might suggest first? „

I think you would suggest to start with SS LP again with a reset and proper excess cals in nutrition.

Also I think my question doesn't make sense to you since I don't follow the protocol and this is your free time. Which I totally understand.

My only problem resetting and doing the SS LP is my lower back. Even without deads and a resetted squat, it is sore all the time and my form suffers from it.

In which case I think one might take a deload week so the lower back can recuperate as it seems overtrained.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you would suggest to start with SS LP again with a reset and proper excess cals in nutrition.
    This.

Do the program, post a form check if needed, and tell us how you are doing.

This is, after all, the Starting Strength board.