starting strength gym

Thread: How Long Can I ride this Train

Default How Long Can I ride this Train

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,
    I just turned 40 and this milestone has caused me to question some things. As such, I am curious about your opinion on something.

Male, 5’11” 219 lbs. Deadlift at 480, squat at 370.

My current goal is to deadlift 500x5 and squat 405x5. I am sure once I hit these, my goals will move up.

I have been lifting for about 3 years. The first year and a half, I dropped 80 pounds and wasn’t very intelligent (I was doing the main lifts, just not programming them well). The last year and a half, I have been much more intelligent. I gained back 40 pounds and have focused on getting strong.

I am a husband, father, and Special Ed teacher. I train 3 days a week. I am not interested in competing, and I don't do any type of recreational stuff. I chop fire wood, mow my lawn, work on my house. I am a pretty boring guy. That said, assuming I keep going and don’t anything too stupid (avoid more cancer, avoid major injury, attempt to get abzzz) , how long can I ride this train and keep getting stronger?

I don’t feel weak, I don’t feel like I have hit my limits and I feel like a 600-700 pound deadlift and a 500-600 pound squat is feasible with time (much). Am I naïve? Can this even be answered?
    Thanks…

You can go on up in strength, but probably not at that bodyweight. I'll bet your peak strength occurs at about 48, with 10 years of training, barring injury.

Mark, for the OP to reach his peak strength he would need to be around 240lbs?

Yes, 240-255.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, 240-255.
    That was my next question. Just curious (and to give me a goal), what body fat percentage would you like to see at this weight?

Happy Thanksgiving from Austin!

Less than 20%.

How did you determine his peak strength weight? Is this an approximation I couold apply to myself?

starting strength coach development program
    An educated guess.