starting strength gym
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For your amusement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The threat of revocation of license.

As well, if you did not follow their guidelines and someone got hurt, the hurt person could sue successfully; if you followed the guidelines and they got hurt, the hurt person would much less likely have a successful case.

There's just no way this article can be real....he sounds like an awful troll refuting all the points emphasized precisely in the book, down to the "impingement" false narrative of the press. And he keeps using the word "functional." I don't think it means what he thinks it means.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    How many physiotherapists refer people to personal trainers?

I'm not saying it isn't a bad idea, I'm just wondering how big of a problem this is going to be. I've personally never heard of it.
    You don't understand what I'm saying. If The State of New York enacts licensure of Personal Trainers, which would include all exercise prescription professionals, The State of New York will thereby establish a Standard of Practice for the profession. If the Physical Therapists -- like this inexperienced uninformed fool -- get themselves on the Board of Exercise Prescription Examiners, which they will, then this guy's idiotic bullshit will carry the force of state-level legal authority. In other words, you guys will not be able to prescribe full squats, deadlifts, and presses within the scope of your exercise prescription business without violating the Standard of Practice for Exercise Prescription Professionals in the State of New York.

We will, of course, have CrossFit to thank for this great advance in public administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We will, of course, have CrossFit to thank for this great advance in public administration.
    To be fair, Rip- there were ignorant trainers and PTs around long before CrossFit ever hit the mainstream. They just made it cool... because abz.

I'm late on this, sorry for reposting I didn't see this thread right away. This article is so ridiculous but hey he's getting clicks and probably making money off of our asses reading it. I'm still waiting for this guy to explain to me his definition of proper technique on each lift and how this proper technique is going to injure us. Still no reply.

You don't understand what I'm saying. If The State of New York enacts licensure of Personal Trainers, which would include all exercise prescription professionals, The State of New York will thereby establish a Standard of Practice for the profession. If the Physical Therapists -- like this inexperienced uninformed fool -- get themselves on the Board of Exercise Prescription Examiners, which they will, then this guy's idiotic bullshit will carry the force of state-level legal authority. In other words, you guys will not be able to prescribe full squats, deadlifts, and presses within the scope of your exercise prescription business without violating the Standard of Practice for Exercise Prescription Professionals in the State of New York.

So basically the law is going to ensure that nobody will ever get notably strong and that physical therapists monopolize the market? Why is it that whenever something works it gets regulated? Aren't we as human being supposed to get ahead/advance/grow?

This is why Fitness Australia comes out with "kettlebell exercise guidelines" and other little brochures. All they say is, "yeah, you should be qualified, and make sure it's appropriate for that individual," but of course at greater length. But their reasoning is, "if we don't regulate ourselves a little bit, the government will step in and regulate ourselves a lot."

Something like the SSC credential is also a step in this direction. If we have demonstrated efficacy and safety in our services, it's less likely well-meaning but clueless busybodies like government and guys like this physiotherapist will get to step in.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Beyond that, it will limit those who can enter the personal training profession. If DC regs are what I think they will be, I and several other SS coaches will be unable to offer training services in DC at all, unless we go back to college to get an Ex Phys degree.

Additionally, it will increase personal training rates across the board, which will make it more difficult to open a gym. And the gym business is already tough to crack as is.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    To be fair, Rip- there were ignorant trainers and PTs around long before CrossFit ever hit the mainstream. They just made it cool... because abz.
    Once again, I am misunderstood. If there is a public push for state licensure, it will be because of injuries.

starting strength coach development program
    Slightly off the current tangent of bureaucratic bullshit, but I'll ask it anyways: who do we get to punish for coining/bastardizing the word functional?
    From a layperson's point of view, "functional" seems like it would lend itself more accurately to what we do - that is, exercises that approximate the stress and movement pattern of an activity in real life - than the single leg whatevers and lateral whatthefucks that hacks like this guy recommend. Why do they get to reap the benefits of an appealing-to-the-public-and-totally-fucking-arbitrary label, and we don't?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast