starting strength gym

Thread: Bearing bar vs. bushing bar. What is your take?

Default Bearing bar vs. bushing bar. What is your take?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a beginner who is interested in competing in weightlifting and I was curious if it would be worth while to buy a bearing bar. Eventually, that's what she will use on the platform and figured it would be best to have her train with the same equipment.

If it is worth while, would you recommend going for a middle of the line WL bar or go all in and get an Eleiko? I was planning on eventually purchasing bearing bars but may do it asap because of this new client.

Thoughts?

I don't know of any 25mm bushing bars, except maybe the B&R, because all 25mm bars are Olympic bars for competitive lifters. For a novice lifter, a bushing bar with an oiled bushing will be no different than a bearing bar. They can't tell the difference.

Rogue offers quite a few 25mm bushing bars.

Thanks for catching me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks for catching me up.
    No problem. There's actually quite a few more vendors offering 25mm 15KG bushing bars, but I've had such good experiences with Rogue's customer service, I'm hesitant to recommend or purchase from anywhere else. They've recently launched new Olympic bars in both bushing and bearing versions, which also go along with some of their less expensive bars (like the women's Bella Bar). I suppose we can all thank Crossfit for the widespread availability of reasonably priced women's bushing bars, among other types of equipment.