starting strength gym

Thread: Early Morning Preworkout

Default Early Morning Preworkout

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

I have been looking around the forums and saw that you recommended 2 scoops of protein/caffiene/2 cups of oats as a pre workout for early risers. Thats around 120g of CHO, and that you workout around 30 mins after you down the shake. I thought you should wait around an hour/hour and half after a "meal" before training, or are morning workouts different?

It depends what you mean for morning workouts, i.e. is it directly after waking or is it like an hour later. If the latter, then sure a cup or 2 of oats is prudent if it fits your current macronutrient level. If the former, then I defer to 10g bcaa, 10g carb supplement like vitargo and 10g oats or other fiber-containing starch + caffeine.

I wake up around 615 and down my shake by 630 and get to the gym by 745ish. Would there be any difference in taking liquid carbs/bcaa's or whey/oats an hour or so before the gym? Also do you still recommend taking a litre of water before working out?

Quote Originally Posted by olui View Post
    I wake up around 615 and down my shake by 630 and get to the gym by 745ish. Would there be any difference in taking liquid carbs/bcaa's or whey/oats an hour or so before the gym? Also do you still recommend taking a litre of water before working out?
    Yea I'd do a litre/liter of fluids or more with BCAAs + electrolytes before going to the gym, some caffeine, and some carbohydrates from a supplement + oats. Alternatively, if your BCAA supplement doesn't have electrolytes in it then I'd just do 1 scoop of whey instead given the time line you laid out.