starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pain in groin on one side during squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Your injury symptoms sound very similar to what I've just recovered from. Ended up with a physio who diagnosed a strained rectus femoris caused by all sorts of bad form and mobility issues which I worked at. 4 weeks out of squatting then effectively had to start the program from scratch to get my poor form nailed. I'm now almost 40% heavier than my pre-injury weight and I'm starting to get the same strain feeling again. I manage this as best I can by thoroughly warming up and just sitting in the bottom position (no bar) elbows into the side of my knees and gently open up the hips and give everything in that area a good stretch. After a few 2 minute sessions in the bottom position with my knees forced right the way out, it makes the rest of the squat session much better. I sense that without this, if I were to just jump straight in and begin to squat I'd strain the rec fem again, despite me analysing my form to the nth degree. At the moment, it's sore after I squat for a day or so and is just about recovered enough by the time I need to squat again. If it continues, I might narrow my stance a couple of inches.

Physios are so cool. They know the names of lots of muscles and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Physios are so cool. They know the names of lots of muscles and shit.
    I couldn't find any coaches willing to massage my groin.

Hey, at least I'm squatting again and making great progress. My power clean sucks donkey balls, but that' s my next project to sort.

I strained my right groin several months ago and now I have to be super careful with my squat volume or it will be flared up for 4 or 5 days.
    It is very annoying and holding back my progress. My squat stance is medium, not that wide at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I strained my right groin several months ago and now I have to be super careful with my squat volume or it will be flared up for 4 or 5 days.
    It is very annoying and holding back my progress. My squat stance is medium, not that wide at all.
    Have you tried squatting in weightlifting shoes since the injury? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Have you tried squatting in weightlifting shoes since the injury? Just curious.
    I have been home yesterday and today because of the groin. No, I quit using my Adipowers because I felt they were causing knee pain.
    Thinking back on it, this groin problem has actually been going on for over a year. Deadlifts don't bother it, but squats do.
    I also have some slight popping in my right hip, so I'm sure it's contributing to the problem as well.

I have had a similar pain. A bit annoying in day to day life and also when warming up at the gym. Pretty sure I caused it by squatting with poor form. Someone here gave me a queue to get me to stop breaking the hips before knees and even though the pain is still there I don't actually feel it while squatting and it is improving overall. Must have been pulling at something when squatting with such poor form previously. Hopefully all better soon but there were times is get that "about to pop" sensation in my hip described by the OP.

I have been home yesterday and today because of the groin. No, I quit using my Adipowers because I felt they were causing knee pain.
    Thinking back on it, this groin problem has actually been going on for over a year.
    Maybe it's time for a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Maybe it's time for a diagnosis.
    I reckon so, when can you see me? (wink)

starting strength coach development program
    When can I see your groin?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast