starting strength gym

Thread: Herniated disc, foot drop and Mac Ward Part 2

Default Herniated disc, foot drop and Mac Ward Part 2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had placed the first part of this thread on Mark Rippetoe's forum. This is the follow up that I told Mac Ward I would do. I hope this may be useful to others. The original thread is here.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=53449

My MRI confirmed a herniated L5-S1 disc with moderate compression of the dural sac and impingement on the left L5 and S1 nerve root. From the MRI, the docs I saw, three orthopedic and one neurologist, all believed I needed surgery. Because I was not in any significant pain, they agreed I could do with out the surgery, get some physical therapy and see if the problem heals. They all suggested I recover with light resistance training, for example one doc suggested using 15 pound dumbbells for exercise.

Checking my log, it seems that the foot slapping (foot drop) was noticed about three weeks after my initial back troubles. I did notice that my foot drop symptoms improved during the time I had to wait for appointments, MRI and Test results, approximately four weeks. It is about 10 weeks since I noticed strong pain and about 7 weeks since I noticed the foot drop symptoms. Until this week I had not lifted for reasons explained below. I still notice some mild foot slapping when I walk for a distance.

I did use an inversion table several times during post injury. I don’t know if it physically improved the disc herniation but it seemed to help m e reduce the initial pain. I suspect the inversion table may have helped reduce any pressure that might have been on the nerve roots. I say this as a lay man with out any medical knowledge except for knowing how my back and legs feel.

I am very fortunate to have Dr. John Petrizzo, a Starting Strength coach, as my physical therapist. We started squats, deadlifts and OH press with about 65 percent of my previous work sets. This is about 10 weeks from when I stopped lifting due to concern about my back. The recovery protocol seems similar to Mac Ward’s recovery protocol, except I am a bit older than Mac. Except for some post workout DOMS, it felt good to get under the bar again. I will continue to report progress.

I also want to again thank Mac for his information and encouragement. Also, have a Starting Strength coach as my PT is about as good as it gets.

At my PT session yesterday I was doing about 80% of my pre-injury weights. I was having trouble finding time to get back into the gym. I do not expect to go this Christmas week, family and stuff takes the attention. I feel I am making good progress with the SS model. Plus Dr. John is a great help.