starting strength gym

Thread: Considering cutting 10% body weight in under two months

Default Considering cutting 10% body weight in under two months

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, I am eyeballing a meet on February 7 and trying to decide if I should cut to 181 or stay at 198. I am currently at 202. If I average 1 lb per week up until the week before the meet, I could be down to 194, which would leave approx. 13 lbs of water weight to cut in the final week. There is a 24 hour weigh-in.

The idea of cutting that much seems aggressive to me, but I thought I'd run it by you. This meet qualifies for SPF nationals and I'd likely be in much better shape to qualify at 181. I don't plan to win anything really but I just thought it would be cool to qualify and go to nationals. But if it's going to make me feel and perform like shit, then it's not that important to me.

Thanks.

You're going to feel fine at the meet after replenishing but you'll lift less. Additionally, going to SPF nationals is like going to the special olympics. Powerlifting is already an irrelevant sport (that I happen to compete in but hate at the same time) and the SPF is the bastard child of the sport due to dubious judging, management, and equipment selection. I'd advise you to enter USAPL or USPA meets and qualify for nationals in either federation. Unfortunately I can't sell you on a cool venue this year for USAPL (Scranton, PA) vs SPF's Knoxville or Gatlinburg, TN- but USPA is in Vegas I believe.

I'd either stay in the 198's/93kg class for a meet in Feb or find a meet in late March and do a proper diet.